M&P Shield Information Center

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timn8er

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like a lot of people I've been wanting a Shield for several months. Done the list thing, calling everybody, &
searching on line. I was on another forum yesterday when another member posted that Bud's currently
had them. I tried not to get too excited, because I always seem to get there right after the last one was
sold! I went to the site, logged in, keyed up a Shield in 40, & I got it! If all goes well I'll have it in ten days.
When I gave up on getting a Shield I bought an M&P40C, but I'll probably keep it, because I feel they fit
different niches. If, for some reason, I don't like the Shield, I know I'll have no problem selling it. I will be
following this thread with great interest.

*UPDATE*
My LGS called me today, of course, & told me they had a 40 caliber Shield in for me. Since
I've already committed to the one mentioned earlier, i had to pass. That's my kind of Luck!

Last edited:

kimgcampbell

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am glad the thread is still active.

Gladder to hear that more Shields are making their way down the pipeline. This whole area of the slim 9 is really catching on. I see the Springfield Armory is bringing out the XDS in 9. Have no idea how it compares with the S&W. it will have to be exceptional, especially if your gun has the Apex sear. I wouldn't trade or sell my Shield for anything!

QUOTE=timn8er;2085955]Like a lot of people I've been wanting a Shield for several months. Done the list thing, calling everybody, &
searching on line. I was on another forum yesterday when another member posted that Bud's currently
had them. I tried not to get too excited, because I always seem to get there right after the last one was
sold! I went to the site, logged in, keyed up a Shield in 40, & I got it! If all goes well I'll have it in ten days.
When I gave up on getting a Shield I bought an M&P40C, but I'll probably keep it, because I feel they fit
different niches. If, for some reason, I don't like the Shield, I know I'll have no problem selling it. I will be
following this thread with great interest.[/QUOTE]

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sportsworld got in 38 of the 9mm Shields Monday of this week and I almost picked one up. They are great guns, my Dad's got the 40 version of it. I am sure I will get one eventually.

I have tried several of these mini 9mm's and the Shield is the only one that makes the grade. The Taurus 709 slim sucks, the Ruger LC9 trigger is horrible (and I am a Ruger fan too), Beretta Nano functioned fine, just not my preference.

I am guessing the Springfield XDs 9mm will be the first real competition to the Shield if its anything like the XDs in .45

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like a weak recoil spring. Not a trait you want in a carry gun.

My 9mm Shield has a great trigger and is accurate. Perhaps the best shooting gun for its size on the market right now. However, with a round chambered and 5 or more rounds in the mag, if the slide gets nudged back (like pressing the nose of the gun on the ground or against a holster), then the gun stays out of battery. I have to put my thumb on the back of the slide and push it back into place.

Anyone else have this issue with their Shield?

cm_osu

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 9mm Shield has a great trigger and is accurate. Perhaps the best shooting gun for its size on the market right now. However, with a round chambered and 5 or more rounds in the mag, if the slide gets nudged back (like pressing the nose of the gun on the ground or against a holster), then the gun stays out of battery. I have to put my thumb on the back of the slide and push it back into place.

Anyone else have this issue with their Shield?

Tons of people have this issue. Mine does it as well. The gun won't fire with it even just a little out battery. If I pull the trigger on mine with it out, the slide moves forward and locks. It will fire if you pull the trigger again.

It hasn't concerned me so far as it hasn't happened carrying and I think if it did, drawing alone will correct it.

kimgcampbell

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may be a weak recoil spring, but I have heard of this kind of issue with many autoloaders, including Glocks. When folks presscheck their guns, or press them against a suspect's body (like in an arrest), some slides will move back enough to go out of battery and then won't fire. From my standpoint, I have never had this happen to my 9mm Shield.

Another thing to check is the magazine spring. If you have a dickens of a time getting in the last one or two rounds in the 7 round short magazine, your magazine spring may be overcompressed and then binding the action. It seems that S&W uses the same mag spring in both the 7 and the 8 round 9mm mags, even though the 7 round is shorter. I had this issue with both my 7 round mags (the one included with the gun and with another from Cabela's). Clipping off one coil did the trick.

In your cases I can theorize that an overly compressed mag spring can potentially bind the slide. Does this happen with your 8 round mags? Are your 7 round mags near impossible to load? I Just a thought...

kimgcampbell

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Give S&W a call; nothing to lose. I do agree with the other poster; the gun should return to battery when you draw.

Maybe the new XDS in 9mm would work better. I'm sure you could find a buyer for your Shield, problem or not.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, for what it's worth to you reloading Shield owners, I picked up some 180 grain hard cast bullets from J & K bullets in Moore and they fed flawlessly through my wife's Shield. Her's had not been fired yet, but it sure is a cheaper route than jacketed bullets for practicing, plus easier to find right now.

reade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got on a waiting list for a 9 two years (I think) ago (seems like that even if it wasn't) and finally got the call about two weeks ago. I'm happy with the 9 Shield and put my name on the list a second time and that one will be my wife's, she's just now getting her CC.

As far as holsters, I am a big fan of Garrett Silent Thunder leather lined Kydex IWB.