Magnum Research MLR 17/22 LEMON!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I purchased a new Magnum Research 17/22 from Bud's Guns and got a lemon! This is the first time I have ever purchased a lemon. I took it to the range using a Nikon 4-12x40 scope and placed the target at 30yds. It wasn't hitting a man sized paper target. I had to eventually move up to 15 yds to get it on paper and it shot about 12 inches left of center. I first thought my scope finally kicked the bucket as I adjusted the windage and the bullet stayed in the same place, so I went back to the range armed with a Vortex 4-12x40 scope and the same thing occurred. In one of the holes (that actually made it on target) it looked like it keyholed. After I left I kicked myself for not getting a picture of the target. I emailed Magnum Research (Kahr) today to tell them about my problem, so we'll see how they handle the situation. Disappointed to say the least.

I used 40 grain CCI and 38 grain American Eagle HV ammo.

Any ideas what may have caused this?

Last edited:

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked at the muzzle and it looks off center in relation to the stainless steel end of the graphite "wrapping."

i983.photobucket.com_albums_ae320_promiseofwars_FullSizeRender_1_zpscdsoiicm.jpg

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Damn...I'm certainly not a gunsmith, but that baby looks way out of concentric if that photo is square on.

Surprised it made it out of the manufacturer like that.

Would like to know how you come out on this deal and GL!

Free Trapper

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn...I'm certainly not a gunsmith, but that baby looks way out of concentric if that photo is square on.

Surprised it made it out of the manufacturer like that.

Would like to know how you come out on this deal and GL!

Free Trapper

Thanks. I did try to get it as squared as possible. I believe that is the problem. I will post the outcome as it unfolds.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is perchance the scope mount out of alignment and not the bore? Might try the dowel rod trick down the bore and a straight line off the scope and see how the 2 line up together.

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is that the bullet is clipping the stainless steel crown at the muzzle... I hope to send it back this week and let Magnum Research shoot it and find out the answer.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe, hopefully they can figure it out and take care of it. I was really interested in buying the 22 WMR version of what you just got. So, I'm really interested in how this plays out. Keep us in the loop please!

Latest posts

Top Bottom