Manchin: NRA ‘made a big mistake’

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He may have damaged his own electability. I don't know what W Va.'s politics are like. It's a red state and I guess that doesn't matter to him since he got elected in the first place. But, check the 2012 election maps. Good luck turning any of that blue to red.

Results by state:

www_personal.umich.edu__mejn_election_2012_statemap1024.png

Results by county:

www_personal.umich.edu__mejn_election_2012_countymaprb512.png

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He may have damaged his own electability. I don't know what W Va.'s politics are like. It's a red state and I guess that doesn't matter to him since he got elected in the first place. But, check the 2012 election maps. Good luck turning any of that blue to red.

Results by state:

www_personal.umich.edu__mejn_election_2012_statemap1024.png

Results by county:

www_personal.umich.edu__mejn_election_2012_countymaprb512.png

He was in a close race at the time. He had the name recognition and ran a pro-gun campaign. This could cost him reelection.

edit: I think it was close in 2010, but he won a full term in 2012 pretty easily. So he doesn't have to worry about reelection for quite a while which is probably why he has come out of his shell. He figures he has plenty of time to pretend to be more conservative later and is counting on voters having a short memory.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He was in a close race at the time. He had the name recognition and ran a pro-gun campaign. This could cost him reelection.

edit: I think it was close in 2010, but he won a full term in 2012 pretty easily. So he doesn't have to worry about reelection for quite a while which is probably why he has come out of his shell. He figures he has plenty of time to pretend to be more conservative later and is counting on voters having a short memory.

I think he has buried himself, as long as we, the NRa and GOA don't let the people of W VA forget.
:)

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wanna know how in the world this fool was given an A+ rating by the nra?

If memory serves--and if I'm wrong, please correct me, but provide documentation in your post--the NRA sends out a questionnaire to candidates and invites them to fill it in; it then scores them based on their answers, without doing further research.

IOW: if Pres. Obama were to fill in the right bubbles on the form, he too could have an A+ rating.

Again, this is from memory; if you can provide evidence to the contrary, please so, that I might be better informed.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The NRA ratings are only based on the questionnaire if the candidate doesn't have a legislative/executive/judicial/oratory record, because that's all the data they have. If the candidate has a record, that is factored into the rating--Barry 0 won't get an A rating from the NRA, regardless of his answers on the questionnaire.

What the rating is, however, is a snapshot in time. If someone runs as a pro-2A candidate and answers the questionnaire with pro-2A answers, he'll get the A+ rating he deserves at the time; if he, like Manchin, later turns his back on 2A issues, subsequent NRA ratings will reflect that.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sooner P226, can you provide a citation for that? My memory differs, so I'd like to see the authoritative source. I don't doubt your sincerity, I just want to be sure.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sooner P226, can you provide a citation for that? My memory differs, so I'd like to see the authoritative source. I don't doubt your sincerity, I just want to be sure.
I'm pretty sure it was in one of the Voters Guides in American Rifleman, but I've been able to find every copy of the magazine except for the Voter's Guide issues (hmm, must be a conspiracy. I wondered why thise damned black helicopters were circling my house instead of RedDog's. ;) ). I tried searching the NRA sites, but couldn't find where they explain the methodology, just the pages where you can see the ratings. I'll see if I can find the missing magazine and let you know.

Edit:
Dang it--I'm going to have to retract my statement for the time being. I think I know why I can't find the magazine; I was cleaning up a few weeks ago and stuffed a stack of magazines into a box, and it looks like I threw out that box and kept the box of actual trash. Maybe someone who doesn't use identical Amazon boxes for trash and for stuff to keep can find the Voter's Guide issues of AR. I don't recall if it was last November or from a previous election cycle...

Last edited:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here are four names to remember well:

Sen. Pat Toomey, R-PA

Sen. John McCain, R-AZ

Sen. Mark Kirk, R-IL

Sen. Susan Collins, R-ME

These are four politicians who need to be defeated in their primary races next time around (if they run again). I intend to lobby the GOP to have their party endorsements removed for failure to adhere to the party principles and for their continued support of Democrat planks. They are truly RINO's and should not have the support of the party. :NO:

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are four names to remember well:

Sen. Pat Toomey, R-PA

Sen. John McCain, R-AZ

Sen. Mark Kirk, R-IL

Sen. Susan Collins, R-ME

These are four politicians who need to be defeated in their primary races next time around (if they run again). I intend to lobby the GOP to have their party endorsements removed for failure to adhere to the party principles and for their continued support of Democrat planks. They are truly RINO's and should not have the support of the party. :NO:

I don't think we'll ever see the end of McCain GtG. Unless we just outlive him. I'm grateful for his extraordinary service and sacrifice for our country. But he's just too deep into political compromise. He's willing to give away too much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom