Marlin 57M Levermatic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here a while back I saw a 57M in the Classifieds, and my interest was piqued because I'd never heard of this model. I'd just started looking for a good .22WMR rifle, and had just about settled on a Henry as the best option. A few days later a 57M popped up on Armslist, and I decided to grab it although I hadn't had the time to research them thoroughly.

I'd rate the condition at about 90%, which isn't bad for a gun made back in 1966. Just a little wear on the wood and blue, and the bore is shiny and sharp. The action was kind of gummed up like someone had kept oiling without ever thoroughly cleaning it, and occasionally it would fail to smoothly eject and feed. I tore it down and cleaned a TON of goop out of the action, and after that it cycled like butter. The trigger isn't great, but the design doesn't lend itself to tweaking so I'm just going to leave well enough alone.

Marlin touted this model as the "Levermatic", since the action needs such a short throw to cycle. I can just slightly flick my fingers without coming off the target to take follow-up shots, which is great, but the tube holds 15 rounds so it's easy to burn through a lot of ammo.

The receiver was D&T and had a rail for tip-off rings, but I ordered a Weaver #58 mount which I used along with some low Burris Zee rings to mount an old Korean-made Bushnell Sportview 3-9x32. I had planned to buy a new AO scope, but the Bushnell is so clear and sharp that I may not have to.

Finally got to sight it in today, and all I can say is "Hot damn!" I was limited to 25 yards, so I can't speak to true "MOA" accuracy, but so far so good. The first shot was about a foot to the right and 3" low, and it took 4 rounds to get on the bullseye. After that I was very pleased with the results. The best 5 shot group (pic below) came from 40gr Fiocchi round nose rated at 1910 FPS. The POI was slightly off from the Armscor JHP I sighted in with, but not by much. I had one flier, but the other four shots made one ragged hole.

Overall I'd say that the 57M is an outstanding .22WMR platform, and they don't get the recognition that they deserve. Now I'm on the hunt for a .22lr Model 57 to add to the "portfolio".

scoped57m.jpgmodel57.jpgtarget.jpg

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a 57M for a number of years - well made & accurate rifle. My only complaint was the safety design - it's a sliding piece on the underside by the lever similar to the Savage 99. My problem was that the safety wasn't marked and I had trouble remembering if forward or back was safe- and I really got spooked by the safety when my son and nephew started using it. Don't remember the year of manufacture on mine - maybe the later ones were marked. Everything else about the rifle was flawless.

Cedar Creek

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a 57M for a number of years - well made & accurate rifle. My only complaint was the safety design - it's a sliding piece on the underside by the lever similar to the Savage 99. My problem was that the safety wasn't marked and I had trouble remembering if forward or back was safe- and I really got spooked by the safety when my son and nephew started using it. Don't remember the year of manufacture on mine - maybe the later ones were marked. Everything else about the rifle was flawless.

Cedar Creek

Yeah, the safety is kind of weird. I caught myself constantly trying to move the lever, just to make sure the safety was engaged.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never seen a rifle that the safety wasn't forward for fire, back for safe.

I guess I never really thought about it.

Nice buy on the rifle. My dad traded a decent 57M for crappy 25M with a broke stock. Then needed a 100 dollar stock. He is different some days.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have that vary rifle. It is drilled and tapped for a scope rail. Can you share with me what your rail is and or what it looks like?

It's a Weaver #58 mount. Got it off of Amazon for pretty cheap. Fit perfectly, and I used Burris Zee low rings to mount my scope. Made for a nice low set up.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Broke out the x54r Vepr and an AR to do some shooting today. I was at the house, so I had the target set up about 90yds away. Afterwards, I decided to pull out the 57M and see how it could do at that distance. I shot 3 rounds each of Fiocchi 40gr round nose and Armscor 40gr hollow points. The Armscor stuff wasn't impressive with a group of about 2", but the Fiocchi really shined again with a group of just over .75".

Still loving this little Marlin, and if anybody's looking for some pretty good .22WMR ammo, try some Fiocchi if you can find it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom