Military brass not worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been reading up, leaning towards getting into reloading.

On the topic of using once fired military brass, a lot of folks seem to think it's not worth the trouble. Besides the primer issues, I read an article that says resizing the brass might be an issue, for example 5.56 that was used in a M249 or similar bullet hose with a loose chamber might not resize well for use in a tighter spec AR.

Thoughts from the experienced reloaders? True or hype?

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IDK about 223, but we reload 9 military brass all the time. It is a little inconvenient to ream out the primer pocket. but its not that bad.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I bet the pistol rounds might not be too bad. I remember the Mk46 putting a pretty good dent in the neck of spent brass...but not sure about the expansion due to chamber dimensions.

Does a resizing die take care of it?

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never loaded any .223/5.56, but I've loaded bunches of .308 and .30-06, including making .243 out of the .308. No issues. It's well worth it, in my opinion.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been reading up, leaning towards getting into reloading.

On the topic of using once fired military brass, a lot of folks seem to think it's not worth the trouble. Besides the primer issues, I read an article that says resizing the brass might be an issue, for example 5.56 that was used in a M249 or similar bullet hose with a loose chamber might not resize well for use in a tighter spec AR.

Thoughts from the experienced reloaders? True or hype?

The people who think it's not worth the trouble either have the funds to buy factory brass and leave it for us to pick up and reload and save money or they have their ammo bought for them and leave it lay, again saving us money.

The primer pocket preparation is done only once. You never have to do it again. I keep my brass in separate marked buckets so I know whats been prepped and what hasn't.

I load all my 5.56/.223 brass to .223 size and powder loads. I don't try to duplicate a military load and stay within the limits of the reloading manuals. I can shoot skeet thats lying on a berm at 100 yards consistently and thats good enough for me.

I've never known the source of the brass I reload. Some of it was range pickup and some of it was bought off the internet. Some from other OSA members. I've had the usual rejects that come from normal reloading. Split cases, bent beyond repair, etc.

Reloading is time consuming, relaxing and therapeutic. When I want to take my mind off anything or everything thats bugging me, I go to the gun/reloading room.

ruger461

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only trouble I have ever had was with the 7.62 variety. First and only ever broken case. On the positive side I got to learn how to use a stuck case removal tool. :-) But also ended up with a broken mandrel. :-( I am sure it had more to do with the loader (me) than the brass though. Have had no issues with the other calibers mentioned. Like mentioned before, primer pockets are a onetime thing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom