Military brass not worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it's not that military brass is not worth reloading
but more economics of reloading military caliber rounds.

.223, 9mm, .308, 30.06 all can be purchased in 1,000 rd lots for dirt cheap.

by the time you figure out cost of projectiles, powder, primer, equipment, etc.
the military calibers complete rounds, comes out very close to cost of reloading.

don't get me wrong ... got on hand thousands of rounds of brass, projectiles, powder with all the equipment like Dillon/RCBS press, lead casting, etc... to support reloading.

if sh*t hits the fan ... sure like having my ass covered.
but reloading military size ammo has not been high on my list.

exception has been reloading high value loads like .308, 30.06 for military bolt matches. naturally if one is shooting competitively (which I'm not) reloading is mandatory to meet quality requirements.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember the Mk46 putting a pretty good dent in the neck of spent brass...but not sure about the expansion due to chamber dimensions.

Does a resizing die take care of it?

It takes care of quite a bit but not all of it. With that said dents dont hurt a thing and will go away with the first reloading
ETA.. Here i found this.... http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=334959

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good to hear.

Is the thicker wall a good thing, meaning able to reload it more times?

Pretty much. If you load a standard .223 and alternate with a 5.56, you might notice just a bit more power is required to resize the 5.56 due to the wall thickness. Its barely noticible, and using the hornady 1 shot case lube, the difference almost disappears.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I reload tons of 5.56 and 308. Never an issue. It's a little more work with crimped primers but the LC brass seems to last a good while.

Pretty much. If you load a standard .223 and alternate with a 5.56, you might notice just a bit more power is required to resize the 5.56 due to the wall thickness. Its barely noticible, and using the hornady 1 shot case lube, the difference almost disappears.

Good stuff. How many reloads could one expect out of LC brass?

Latest posts

Top Bottom