Modern AK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There you go. I know most people are afraid to paint their rifles. I personally like it. I figure, if I paint it, it's not an "evil black gun" anymore and it wouldn't apply to Feinstein's list.

How about something like this?

[Broken External Image]

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here you go bro... Let me know if you want to add any more details... Oh and I need your name for the byline... Brad

http://www.urbanrifleman.com/2013/05/03/the-modern-ak-47-bolt-on-upgrades/

Thanks man, I gotta admit it looks good on your site! ha.

Man I'm digging that AK. I've never owned one, but I've got a case of the rifle envy right now.

lol. I respect traditional AK's and actually enjoy them quite well. However, I feel that the things I have added to my AK have made it more functional for my overall needs. To me, I've taken a battle proven workhorse and made it more ergonomic without hindering it's known reliability and performance. I had a vision going into this and I have to say I'm very pleased with the end result.

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody have some "homemade" paint jobs they would like to share? Thinking about painting this AK. Thanks.

Jake

Sure.

DSCF3453.jpg

Here's my BCM midlength that I painted a couple of years ago. I actually did this at a semi-abandoned oil/gas site next to Indian Hills Rd in OKC in one evening. I hung the rifle with bailing wire from a fencepost and masked off the weaponlight lens and button (due to the rubber which paint won't stick to and gets gummy), the top portion of the front sight post, the top portion of the rear sight and I used the cover on the Aimpoint T-1. A foamie earplug was shoved down into the A2 birdcage to protect the bore. The paint job itself took about an hour using Arvoe paints. The base layer was a coyote-ish type brown and after a bit of sun and dry time I would hit it with alternating shades of greens, a darker brown and I also found a fantastic 'earth red' that goes great with the red dirt in this state. Stencils were a sheaf of tall grass cut from the road bar-ditch nearby and a small twig with lots of leaves from a nearby tree. Anytime I was waiting on a coat to set up a bit I would work on a bunch of mags I had laid out on cardboard. (hint: don't paint the tops!) Sunlight (to get the gun warm prior to application and dry the paint after) is your friend as is a lack of wind.

This is what it looked like after about 18 months of hard use.

IMG_1254_2.jpg

I need to repaint it now due to the number of parts I've replaced while changing some things. I also need to do my AKs.

Speaking of AKs and weaponlights...

After my recent experience at a shoot house class in Ohio including a lot of night hits on the house I am extremely please with the Surefire FURY lights as available from Bravo Co. 500 lumens with a clickie tailcap for about $125? Hells to the yes.

To be perfectly honest after that experience I want MORE light. Make of that what you will.

I have found Haley's Dropwing mount to work exceptionally well in concert with the Ultimak rail. The only issue I've had was with the light walking forward in the mount under recoil but after a wrap of electrical tape around the light that is no longer an issue.

Here's how it all sits on my SLR-107UR.

FuriousKrinkDorsal.jpg

FuryiousKrinkPort.jpg

FuryiousKrinkTail.jpg

Ek

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll have to look for that "earth red" color. Didn't know they made it. That would be perfect for Oklahoma. It's basically a signature color for our state, ha. I originally tried mounting my T1 on the Ultimak with the thorntail, but the light blocked some of the view. I ended up having to move it back to the receiver. Your's doesn't seem to have that issue. Weird.

Btw, I think the rifle looks great in the 18 month later pic. Shows that you use your gear. Thank you for your reply.

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I figured I would bump this since I just finished painting and repainting a couple rifles.

Magazines in the works....
IMG_2470.jpg

Finished, left two are mine.
IMG_2474.jpg

Krink
IMG_2475.jpg

It's taken a bit of extra time to dry but that's due to the obscene humidity Sunday and the continual lack of sun until the end of the day. Paints used were from Arvoe.

Ek

Latest posts

Top Bottom