Multiple shooting Victims at Lake Hefner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That was an appropriate statement. The question can, and should be addressed later, when we don't have the various political voices trying to feather their nest.
She made it political in her second sentence by displaying her butt ache for the NRA. Had she just left that one sentence out she'd have been fine, but nope...

Last edited:

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several years ago, I had the opportunity to do force-on-force training with OKCPD SWAT; when OCU Law moved to the old Central High School, they did active-shooter training there, and I got to play. In the second round, I was given a functional AR with a blank adapter and a full magazine of blanks. So...I've been in a shootout with the SWAT team :-)

I set up an ambush, and they walked right into me. I was very well aware of everything around me right up until they showed up, but then my situational awareness narrowed. I managed to put "rounds" on target with deliberation, but it completely failed to occur to me to move from where I was standing. I would have taken one or two of them with me, but I was dead, dead, dead.

It was most educational, and I highly recommend force-on-force training to anybody who has the opportunity.
Training and real life is two completely different things, but I have spend hours, days, and weeks at a time training for these types of events, when I was a young man. I think it has a lot to do with who you are, I was and athlete in school, so I learned at a young age to track everything on the field of play. I was good athlete because I was able to track everything going on around me. At the same time, I do not get scared because I have nothing to be scared of. I am a Christian that believes even if something went wrong, it would be a reward.
I do not think two people will do the same thing or react the same way in the same situation. I saw young men and women in Iraq react without fear of anything, when older guys would get scared.
I was reading an interview with the guy that shot the gunman, I am glad that he is the Okie that was on the scene. It takes a lot for a guy to run into gun fire for people he does not know.

Last edited:

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Training and real life is two completely different things, but I have spend hours, days, and weeks at a time training for these types of events, when I was a young man. I think it has a lot to do with who you are, I was and athlete in school, so I learned at a young age to track everything on the field of play. I was good athlete because I was able to track everything going on around me. At the same time, I do not get scared because I have nothing to be scared of. I am a Christian that believes even if something went wrong, it would be a reward.
I do not think two people will do the same thing or react the same way in the same situation. I saw young men and women in Iraq react without fear of anything, when older guys would get scared.
I was reading an interview with the guy that shot the gunman, I am glad that he is the Okie that was on the scene. It takes a lot for a guy to run into gun fire for people he does not know.
Training can change who you are to a significant degree. I recall going to a pistol training course, and shooting a fast string toward the end of the course, I had a malfunction. I started to execute a tap-rack-bang drill, and as I was moving to "tap," I could actually see that the magazine was unseated by about a millimeter. I was back in the "fight" in amazing time, and I never lost my awareness of anything else around me; several days earlier, I would never have seen that 1mm difference.

In the exercise at OCU, I'd not been to the range at all in some time; the skills had atrophied.

As to the "who you are," that can also change; it can be a question of "who you decide to be." I've always been the guy on the emergency response team at work; at a previous job, I went through the first aid training, and I was always on the "walk through" team to make sure the building was empty during the fire drills. Even some time after I left the job, I found myself in a fire evac, searching and clearing rooms before the staff could get to them, leaving doors open and reporting that it was clear behind me. I decided long ago to be that person.

Shooting is a perishable skill. So is situational awareness. Training is good; frequent, repetitive training is better. I've read that figure skaters start to lose their equilibrium after three or four days off from training, and airline pilots have reported feeling less sharp after a couple of weeks' vacation. That's not a character judgment, that's just the nature of the brain, of learning and cognition.

It's been years since I've been in the left seat of an airplane, and I wouldn't dare put myself in a Piper Cub or Cessna 150 right now without an instructor to knock off the rust (and I used to be an instructor). I still carry my sidearm, but I don't pretend to think I'm as capable as those who run through the shoot house monthly; I'm still better than I would be unarmed, though. Training force-on-force is better than action pistol training, which is better than training on the square range against a stationary bullseye target.

Just one man's opinion, of course.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Training can change who you are to a significant degree. I recall going to a pistol training course, and shooting a fast string toward the end of the course, I had a malfunction. I started to execute a tap-rack-bang drill, and as I was moving to "tap," I could actually see that the magazine was unseated by about a millimeter. I was back in the "fight" in amazing time, and I never lost my awareness of anything else around me; several days earlier, I would never have seen that 1mm difference.

In the exercise at OCU, I'd not been to the range at all in some time; the skills had atrophied.

As to the "who you are," that can also change; it can be a question of "who you decide to be." I've always been the guy on the emergency response team at work; at a previous job, I went through the first aid training, and I was always on the "walk through" team to make sure the building was empty during the fire drills. Even some time after I left the job, I found myself in a fire evac, searching and clearing rooms before the staff could get to them, leaving doors open and reporting that it was clear behind me. I decided long ago to be that person.

Shooting is a perishable skill. So is situational awareness. Training is good; frequent, repetitive training is better. I've read that figure skaters start to lose their equilibrium after three or four days off from training, and airline pilots have reported feeling less sharp after a couple of weeks' vacation. That's not a character judgment, that's just the nature of the brain, of learning and cognition.

It's been years since I've been in the left seat of an airplane, and I wouldn't dare put myself in a Piper Cub or Cessna 150 right now without an instructor to knock off the rust (and I used to be an instructor). I still carry my sidearm, but I don't pretend to think I'm as capable as those who run through the shoot house monthly; I'm still better than I would be unarmed, though. Training force-on-force is better than action pistol training, which is better than training on the square range against a stationary bullseye target.

Just one man's opinion, of course.
I completely agree, training to a critical skill regardless of the situation.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Usually The Lost Ogle is making fun of political and other situations in Oklahoma, many of which deserve their scathing humor.

In this shooting case, they show some examples of the gunman's probable mental issues and raise questions of mental health care and him obtaining a gun.

https://www.thelostogle.com/2018/05...ransphobic-mentally-ill-man-who-heard-demons/

Watch your friends , watch the neighbors, pay attention and recognize!! Another human being slipped through the cracks and there was ample evidence that this man needed help!!!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The question is whether or not they try to dig for someone to be held “responsible” for someone else’s actions now that the crazy guy is dead. Did he legitimately need help, undoubtably. Is it sad that he got killed due to his insanity before he got help, absolutely. If there is anyone else to blame, it would be any family he had in the area. But what if he had no family here?

Latest posts

Top Bottom