Multiple shooting Victims at Lake Hefner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not an uncommon thing. I've seen literally hundreds of people in this condition, any one of whom could snap and do this any day. In fact, we did have one killed by local police after he showed up with a katana threatening people. This cat we had tried time and time and time and time again to get locked up, institutionalized or otherwise some kind of help. He would get locked in the pokey overnight and released, or worst case, sent off for a weekend eval, put on some meds, calm down and released again.

Over.

And over.

And over.

And over.

I documented in the medical record and in legal filings for Emergency Order of Detention that the guy was mentally unstable, a perpetual and constant danger to himself and others.

And nothing permanent or actually helpful in the longterm was or could be done. And ultimately he ended up dead at the hands of law enforcement - luckily, no one else was injured at the same time. But it was tragic.

Our society can whine and cry and ***** and moan about how tragic it is that nothing was done to help these poor people - but this is exactly what we as a society has chosen. The attacks, the school shootings, the random violence, the deranged people - America as a whole doesn't have the dedication to do what is right to help these people, and is suffering the public consequences of decades of neglect and poor management.

pritch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The “defense of others” portion of the SDA is terrible and among the worst in the country. It seems legislative reform in this area should be a higher priority than Constitutional carry and some of the other things we get wrapped around the axel about.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not an uncommon thing. I've seen literally hundreds of people in this condition, any one of whom could snap and do this any day. In fact, we did have one killed by local police after he showed up with a katana threatening people. This cat we had tried time and time and time and time again to get locked up, institutionalized or otherwise some kind of help. He would get locked in the pokey overnight and released, or worst case, sent off for a weekend eval, put on some meds, calm down and released again.

Over.

And over.

And over.

And over.

I documented in the medical record and in legal filings for Emergency Order of Detention that the guy was mentally unstable, a perpetual and constant danger to himself and others.

And nothing permanent or actually helpful in the longterm was or could be done. And ultimately he ended up dead at the hands of law enforcement - luckily, no one else was injured at the same time. But it was tragic.

Our society can whine and cry and ***** and moan about how tragic it is that nothing was done to help these poor people - but this is exactly what we as a society has chosen. The attacks, the school shootings, the random violence, the deranged people - America as a whole doesn't have the dedication to do what is right to help these people, and is suffering the public consequences of decades of neglect and poor management.
This is so true. Daughter has a friend whoes father is very mentally ill, refuses to take his meds and complet/comply with his treatment. The family has tried (almost daily) repeatedly for the last eight years to get him the help he needs, asking the courts, doctors, therapists, psychiatrists, DHS, etc to intervene. All have declined. Well long story short he disappeared for almost six months last year, finally found him in a Florida hospital in a medically induced coma due to the beating he received after breaking into what he thought was his house. Still thought he was in Oklahoma. Didn't matter, he is now serving time in a Florida prison, and is still not getting the help he needs.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The question is whether or not they try to dig for someone to be held “responsible” for someone else’s actions now that the crazy guy is dead. Did he legitimately need help, undoubtably. Is it sad that he got killed due to his insanity before he got help, absolutely. If there is anyone else to blame, it would be any family he had in the area. But what if he had no family here?
Doesn't matter if he did as he was an adult. What could his family do if he was unwilling? See tR's post #139.

ZGXtreme

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Over.

And over.

And over.

And over.

The ones that need it don’t get it while the beds in this state are taken by those who’ve gamed the system to simply gain attention.

We had a guy on a freeway bridge about to jump. Talk him away and off we go for an eval. Denied.

Meanwhile a repeat client calls in every so many days, says the “right things” to solicit a LE, Fire, and medical response, then blows a gasket when all arrive as a countermeasure to hide the fact it’s what she wanted the whole time. Obviously a game... and she’s the one who is accepted each and every time without fail.

It’s all a joke and we’ve created it pampering those who game the system.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if he did as he was an adult. What could his family do if he was unwilling? See tR's post #139.

If the family persists, they can petition to have the person adjudicated incompetent and seek guardianship. Title 43A discusses it. But it's involved and wouldn't necessarily be cheap, and the families of those who need treatment are often those who don't have the means to follow through with the process AND the guardianship itself.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is sad when the result an innocent person getting hurt, but it is legal to be crazy. If the guy has not hurt himself or others, do you lock him up for something he might do?

Good points. I read his interview over on the Gayly Oklahoman (linked earlier in this thread). Dude was clearly off his rocker, but I didn't see anything in there I haven't heard from Phred (Phucktard) Phelps's troops. Should they all be locked up too?

It sucks that we have such people running around, but at what point do we draw the line about "danger, lock him up?" Liberty is a scary thing. It entails danger. Who makes that call? Remember that "mental issues" were a common excuse in Communist nations for locking up dissidents; who gets to decide what is acceptable and what deserves imprisonment?

N.B.: I'm not saying this guy was okay in the head; clearly he wasn't. I'm just posing the question of who writes the standards, who gets to make the choice, especially in such a soft, squishy science as psychology? Chemistry and physics have concrete answers, proven by mathematics; psychology is a matter of opinion. Educated opinion, surely, but still a judgment call. So, as someone who is deeply interested in personal liberty, where do we draw the line?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good points. I read his interview over on the Gayly Oklahoman (linked earlier in this thread). Dude was clearly off his rocker, but I didn't see anything in there I haven't heard from Phred (Phucktard) Phelps's troops. Should they all be locked up too?

It sucks that we have such people running around, but at what point do we draw the line about "danger, lock him up?" Liberty is a scary thing. It entails danger. Who makes that call? Remember that "mental issues" were a common excuse in Communist nations for locking up dissidents; who gets to decide what is acceptable and what deserves imprisonment?

N.B.: I'm not saying this guy was okay in the head; clearly he wasn't. I'm just posing the question of who writes the standards, who gets to make the choice, especially in such a soft, squishy science as psychology? Chemistry and physics have concrete answers, proven by mathematics; psychology is a matter of opinion. Educated opinion, surely, but still a judgment call. So, as someone who is deeply interested in personal liberty, where do we draw the line?

Quite a dangerous "slippery slope", especially when sensationalism and emotion seem to rule the day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom