My AR blew up on me today...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mapcon1941

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember that there was a type of test used in the aircraft industry called eddy-current testing. It was used to test structural and weld integrity. You might call a smaller aircraft repair company and ask them about it?

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're lucky you're not blinded. I can't speculate too well on what happened, other than it was a catastrophic failure. I infer that the cartridge was fully seated in the chamber, but it looks like much of the force was directed backward - judging from the ruptured parts. I've never heard of the ass end of a shell exploding, but since you can see all the way through the barrel, and part of the shell is stuck in there, the ass end must be missing, right? Glad you're OK.

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember that there was a type of test used in the aircraft industry called eddy-current testing. It was used to test structural and weld integrity. You might call a smaller aircraft repair company and ask them about it?

Eddy current is better than MPI for very small flaws but the probe that is utilized is typically specific to the geometry being inspected.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
case head separation? Isn't that a common concern with reloaded ammo? IIRC, Armscor ammo is remanufactured ammo.....

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
case head separation? Isn't that a common concern with reloaded ammo? IIRC, Armscor ammo is remanufactured ammo.....
since 2010 its made in Stevensville Montana USA with new componets

There are records of case head separations with the older philippines made stuff.

The only ammo mfgr listed in Stevensville Mt is BVAC
Bitterroot Valley Ammunition Company.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can determine with some certainty that it is a mere case head separation, i.e. case failure without damage to the barrel, then a thorough inspection of the barrel extension including head space may be all you need. I would still be leary of using the barrel again and believe the smart move is replacement.

Latest posts

Top Bottom