My Bohica .50 BMG

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sweet!

I found this for a chuckle ....

Steps to buying a 50 BMG:

1-Travel to nearest bank and extract large amounts of cash (likely without the approval of significant other)

2-Withdraw more cash to pay for ammo, optics, etc.

3-Drive to outskirts of town to find a retailer that carry's said .50 bmg ...

4-Spend the next six months finding an outdoor spot to sight in and fire .50 cal bmg

5-Make posts on this website wondering why local ranges don't allow them

6-Place rifle in safe never to be used again

Jeff Freeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai68.photobucket.com_albums_i34_jaythejett_bohica.jpg

ai68.photobucket.com_albums_i34_jaythejett_blood.jpg

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but I have heard some scary stories about the Bohica uppers from working in a gunsmith shop. This guys' Bohica blew up in his face apparently. Have you guys had any problems or did the upper come with any warnings? I'm just curious because after the word of mouth horror stories & from simply googling "Bohica Kaboom" I don't think i'd trip ones trigger.

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
ai68.photobucket.com_albums_i34_jaythejett_bohica.jpg

ai68.photobucket.com_albums_i34_jaythejett_blood.jpg

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but I have heard some scary stories about the Bohica uppers from working in a gunsmith shop. This guys' Bohica blew up in his face apparently. Have you guys had any problems or did the upper come with any warnings? I'm just curious because after the word of mouth horror stories & from simply googling "Bohica Kaboom" I don't think i'd trip ones trigger.

I read up on that story extensively before buying my bohica. It happened out in California, the guy was firing reloads, and it is thought that he did not seat the primers in far enough, and when he closed the bolt it went off before completely locking in battery. Also, it was not a "regular" .50BMG, it was the Kalif .510 DTC modified rifle.

I belong to a forum where the forum owner hates bohicas to the point of foaming at the mouth at the mention of them. If there were any other stories out there he would most certainly bring them up over and over again, but that is the only one that has happened to my knowledge.

Mine shoots fine, no problem with brass extraction. I do not have a match chamber, which is tighter than the standard chamber and could be a problem with some brass.

The big thing is to think safety at all times. You are dealing with one hell of a big bullet and none of the .50BMG rifles are forgiving of mistakes. Mine is on safety at all times after cocking unless I am ready to pull the trigger.

I saw pics of a .50 BMG military Barrett rifle blown in half, the shooter opened the breech too soon after a hangfire, and the shell detonated half out of the open breech and did a number on the rifle and shooter both.

Jeff Freeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Waltham that sounds about right.... I kind of figured that the users might be rolling their own .50s and blowing them up. and to pinkhmr and the rest of the bohica guys im not bashing your peice buds I just wanted to hear some feedback, I don't have any verified stories just gun store gossip, you know the kind.

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No problem Jeff, never hurts to ask. The Bohica is the bargain basement .50 BMG to get into, and like the Hi Point carbines, you will hear all sorts of stories about them blowing up because of their being the "cheapest" of their kind, but actually little in the way of solid proof.

Now I will say that Bohica did come out with a new "safer" design on their bolts, if a person has an older bolt design supposedly all they have to do is contact the company and they will provide them with a new bolt free of charge.

www.bohicaarms.com

dwkennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No problem Jeff, never hurts to ask. The Bohica is the bargain basement .50 BMG to get into, and like the Hi Point carbines, you will hear all sorts of stories about them blowing up because of their being the "cheapest" of their kind, but actually little in the way of solid proof.

Now I will say that Bohica did come out with a new "safer" design on their bolts, if a person has an older bolt design supposedly all they have to do is contact the company and they will provide them with a new bolt free of charge.

www.bohicaarms.com

I think you meant "bolt handle". A new bolt would have to be headspaced to the rifle and probably returned to the manufacturer. I don't think the new bolt handle design was prompted by a safety issue; the new handle has more cam action to aid extraction. Lots of 50's have extraction problems, esp. with hot loads.

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You are correct, it was a new Bolt Handle and it works great. And yes, it was free. Mark, and the folks at Bohioca have great at customer service.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sweet!

I found this for a chuckle ....

Steps to buying a 50 BMG:

1-Travel to nearest bank and extract large amounts of cash (likely without the approval of significant other)

2-Withdraw more cash to pay for ammo, optics, etc.

3-Drive to outskirts of town to find a retailer that carry's said .50 bmg ...

4-Spend the next six months finding an outdoor spot to sight in and fire .50 cal bmg

5-Make posts on this website wondering why local ranges don't allow them

6-Place rifle in safe never to be used again

lol, it's almost as bad with .338.

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think you meant "bolt handle". A new bolt would have to be headspaced to the rifle and probably returned to the manufacturer. I don't think the new bolt handle design was prompted by a safety issue; the new handle has more cam action to aid extraction. Lots of 50's have extraction problems, esp. with hot loads.

Your right....my bad. And I have heard both the "to aid in extraction" and "safer" descriptions of the handle. I have no intention of shooting hot loads so I guess I will never know ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom