My new Jaguar Crossbow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of you have been asking about crossbows. Thought I would show you this deal. I just ordered one myself. Its unbelieveably cheap and I scoured the internet and could find nothing but positive reviews from people who actually own them.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=508885

Somethings I found out about this bow from reading reviews or actually emailing an owner:

It is advertised at 310, it will not do that. With the equipment provided it does 240.

You need to purchase some carbon bolts to get the most out of the speed. I don't know what it will achieve with carbon bolts, but I did talk to a guy in arizona that has some custom made carbon bolts and he stated that 100 yard shots were no problem. He had killed a javelina at 125 yards with it. That being said, I AM NOT PROMOTING SHOOTING ANIMALS AT THAT DISTANCE WITH A XBOW. I am only relaying information I was told. He stated his jaguar was deadly accurate out to 40-50 yards, as in stacking arrows.

16" bolts are not made in carbon. So the options I have heard of are either shooting a 20" bolt instead (I don't know much about xbows, so I am not sure how safe this is) or get someone to custom cut your bolts down to 16". There is a guy on ebay that does this for free when you buy bolts thru him. I have his ebay name and can give it out if needed.

The guy in AZ also stated it is fairly quiet, but he put silencers on his to make it quieter, but didn't feel it was neccessary. Also stated the red-dot it comes with works, but felt you needed a powered xbow scope if you going to try longer shots.

I personally can't wait to get mine and try it out. Once I do, I can post on here my results if anyone is interested.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We definitely would like to see your results. I have the Excaliber Equinox, and have to shoot at a different bull with each shot. I only practice out to 50 yds, but it puts it in the same place every time. I shoot carbon bolts, that came with mine. I've only had one problem with the carbon bolts. Was walking out of the hunting area one day, and a doe was standing about 30 yds away in some brush. Picked out a hole and tried an offhand shot. The bolt hit a small limb and virtually exploded. the only thing recovered was the back of the bolt with the fletching, and the broadhead. Shot several deer with them, and no problem.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Little bit of an update. Got some carbon bolts for my xbow, it came with cheap aluminum ones, and just put a Hawke MAP xbow scope on, it came with a jicky red-dot I was not fond of. Just waiting for my dampeners to arrive and I can go sight this thing in!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the 20" length, that weighs in at 350 grains.
Excaliber recommends a 150 grain broadhead, that is made for them by innerloc called the boltcutter.
I've noticed other crossbow manufacturers recomend lighter weight broadheads, but Excaliber contends that a weight forward shaft is more accurate.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having been involved in archery for a very long time, I seriously doubt the account about killing a javelina at 125 yards with his crossbow. Especially if he was using a red dot. Even at 300+ fps, the flight path of a bolt is not flat. And even if he was sighted in at 100 yards, add another 25 yards to it, and a target the size of a javelina, it's either a clean miss, or the guy needs to buy some powerball tickets.

Now, just because this guy is saying a bunch of bunk (in my opinion) doesn't mean the bow isn't good. But lets just be realistic about it's capabilities.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having been involved in archery for a very long time, I seriously doubt the account about killing a javelina at 125 yards with his crossbow. Especially if he was using a red dot. Even at 300+ fps, the flight path of a bolt is not flat. And even if he was sighted in at 100 yards, add another 25 yards to it, and a target the size of a javelina, it's either a clean miss, or the guy needs to buy some powerball tickets.

Now, just because this guy is saying a bunch of bunk (in my opinion) doesn't mean the bow isn't good. But lets just be realistic about it's capabilities.

Like I said, just repeating what I heard. Certainly not promoting it, and somewhat skeptical myself. For the record, he has taken the red-dot off and put a scope on.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Finally got out and got this thing sighted in. I don't know what speed it is shooting, but it is pretty slow, and by that I mean 35 yards is my max with this thing.
I got ok groups out to 30 yards with it. Good enough to kill a deer broadside. I wasn't stacking arrows, but can hit a 4 inch circle consistently at 30 yards. At 20 yards it shoots alot tighter. I usually shoot different targets at that distance to be safe.
Sportsmans Guide sends an extra string when you buy one. They seem to have a reputation for eating strings. I probably have shot mine 40-50 times and it is looking rough already.
The trigger sucks on this thing. I would say it is somwhere between 10-12 lb trigger. No seriously, I'm not exaggerating here, its the worse I've ever squeezed.
Had to put some locktite on the set screw that holds your limb on. I tightened it down the first time and it came loose after about 20 shots. Was throwing bolts everywhere and couldn't figure out why until I noticed it.

Think that about covers it. Overall, I think this Xbow will serve my needs for now. I bought it for Oklahoma and I live in Nebraska, so I will probably only make it back "home" once a year, if that, to hunt with it. If I lived in a state where Xbows were legal, I WOULD NOT have this bow. BUT that being said, I am also the type of guy who buys whatever the he11 he wants in regards to hunting without worrying about the money. So I would most likely pick up a $1000-1200 bow if I actually lived in Oklahoma.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Jaguar is like the Yugo of crossbows. Pure junk!!!! If you want a nice crossbow that will kill deer and you dont want to pay a arm and a leg. Get one of the lower end Hortons or Barnetts. A good quality starter crossbow that will kill deer dead as dead gets for around 400.00 bucks. I bought a Horton Hunter Max three years ago for under 400.00 It had a 175lb draw weight, a red dot scope, Quiver and silencing system. Still using that set up and have killed 10 deer with it including a 260lb Ohio 135in 9 point. Its deadly out to about 35 yards. As far as a 125 yard javelina shot, VERY, VERY, good chance the guy is a liar:burnout:

Latest posts

Top Bottom