Need Help: More girlfriend handgun questions. Polymer, steel, 9mm, .45, & recoil.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know you said you were on a budget, I can relate to that and that's also the reason we don't own an Springfield EMP yet. My wife shot one a few weeks ago and fell in love with it. It was a 9mm and my wifey poo said it felt like less recoil than our other 9's.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having taught Lots of classes and many ladies I would strongly recommend the S&W M&P 9mm!!! I've yet to have a female student that did not like or could not work the M&P 9. Wile other handguns will work this one is top of the line.( even over my beloved Glock)
One of the best things you can do and it Will save you $$ is take her to a range that rents guns and look at each one and rent the ones that SHE!!! likes ( Trust me, BTDT) Have her shoot several and then you will have more info to make a decision with.

For training look at Heartland outdoors basic and advanced handgun, and OSS, www.oklahomashootingskills.com
I would also say have her take a class before she buys a gun..

Hope to see you on the range.

Reaction score
Well can't rent that S&W 3rd gen to compare it, but at that price it's hard to pass up, since it's a great little config; probably just the ticket. The M&P sounds good, but trying not to shell out too much.

She's gonna take a 1 on 1 class with Darren at H&H.

But I want to say right now, that if there is such as thing as a full-sized Wilson KZ 45 in 9x19, I would surely like to know about it - that would be worth shelling out for, for this use! 2-stack (yet a narrow 2-stack), polymer, high quality 1911. Wilson hasn't made this have they?

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife has exactly the same problem at the base of her thumb. We borrowed and rented a number of pistols until we found the one she liked best.

The winner was a Springfield XD9 subcompact. Nothing else was close in terms of her comfort shooting with it. And, because she is comfortable with it she carries it rather than leaving it at home.

The rejected alternatives were:
Glock 19, Glock 26, Hk P7, Steyr M9-A1, Walther PPS, Bersa .380, J frame S&W revolvers (several both airweight and steel), S&W 3913, Colt Combat Commander, S&W 66 (using .38s), Hk P2000 compact, CZ Rami, Kahr CW9 and probably some other I don't remember.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well can't rent that S&W 3rd gen to compare it, but at that price it's hard to pass up, since it's a great little config; probably just the ticket. The M&P sounds good, but trying not to shell out too much.

She's gonna take a 1 on 1 class with Darren at H&H.

But I want to say right now, that if there is such as thing as a full-sized Wilson KZ 45 in 9x19, I would surely like to know about it - that would be worth shelling out for, for this use! 2-stack (yet a narrow 2-stack), polymer, high quality 1911. Wilson hasn't made this have they?

Wile that may be "cool" Trust me when I say "new" shooters dont get more out of a 1911. That M&P will be a Much better option, and a 1on1 class will Not be as good as the classes!!!!! Trust me. OSS is THE best kept secret in the training industry and its right here in OKC>>>> Check it out.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife has exactly the same problem at the base of her thumb. We borrowed and rented a number of pistols until we found the one she liked best.

The winner was a Springfield XD9 subcompact. Nothing else was close in terms of her comfort shooting with it. And, because she is comfortable with it she carries it rather than leaving it at home.

The rejected alternatives were:
Glock 19, Glock 26, Hk P7, Steyr M9-A1, Walther PPS, Bersa .380, J frame S&W revolvers (several both airweight and steel), S&W 3913, Colt Combat Commander, S&W 66 (using .38s), Hk P2000 compact, CZ Rami, Kahr CW9 and probably some other I don't remember.

Have her try the S&W M&P or a 4th gen Glock 17-19. I cant tell you how well ladies like the M&P!!! My wife has had about every gun made and she loves her M&P's!!!

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife has small hands also, and while she shoots her G19 well, she just does not feel comfortable carrying it. She is only 5'4" and feels it is too big for her to carry. She is also concerend about the width of the grip, getting it out, getting a secure grip before firing.

We tried out a lot of guns as well, and finally ended up with a Kahr K9. All steel, single stack though, but felt much better with it than any Polymer frame. Although, the Smith that ldp linked to, is a great deal. I am thinking about picking one of those up as well.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

There is..... it's called a KZ-9 and I own one. Best 9mm I've ever owned and I've owned most of them out there. They do not make them anymore but they have a Spec-ops 9 that is comparable and more compact.

FWIW, this platform is no more or less blocky to me than my G30SF, which is what I bought for my G/F. I also bought her an EMP 9 which she loves after trying XD, Glock, Steyr, and M&P 9s.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are talking home defense. First, convince her that size doesn't matter. Forget about handguns and look in to carbines.
I personally would look in to the H&K MP5 clones or any semi version of a subgun. The recoil will no longer be an issue and the pistol caliber will be more effective with a longer barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom