Need Help: More girlfriend handgun questions. Polymer, steel, 9mm, .45, & recoil.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You are talking home defense. First, convince her that size doesn't matter. Forget about handguns and look in to carbines.
I personally would look in to the H&K MP5 clones or any semi version of a subgun. The recoil will no longer be an issue and the pistol caliber will be more effective with a longer barrel.

That's good advice and I'll pass that along to her - but I *think* that she's thinking that she may *at some point* in the future carry it (probably would be purse carry). Plus she already has a spring-open lockbox sentry safe kind of deal at her house, for little grubby & curious nephew-hands reasons. Holds handguns but not a carbine.

On the PX4, that too is a good idea - I have a friend who has one of these and likes it. Dang, so many good choices out there - which one is the most economical - probably the XD?

As for carbines, I intend to get her on one of these at some point: M1 Carbine or IMI Timberwolf .357 pump, probably the Timberwolf.

If your girlfriend is new to guns and has no developed skill, have you thought about having her shoot left handed? (or the hand that has no arthritis if there is one). If she is starting at scratch with a handgun it might not be that much of an adjustment.

Good idea; thanks. Except that it won't work, because the arthritis is in both hands - in fact I think it's worse in the left hand.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll second prdator on Will's class(es). I'm not an M&P shooter, but lots of folks do like them. I would also consider a Glock 19 or 26 with a grip reduction. You could probably see if OlYeller here has one on-hand she could feel/try out.

Reaction score
No offense, but no way in hell she's going Glock. I hate them. I used to be the biggest fanboy until I figured out how shoddy they are for the price, and how horrible the ergos are compared to others. It's gonna be one of the ones I have, or SW 5906, XD, M&P, or PX4. I'm really liking the 5906 idea.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have severe arthritis and have had surgery on my wrist. Just can't handle recoil. My absolute favorite gun to shoot is my H&K P7. Wish we were closer, I'd gladly let her try it.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No offense, but no way in hell she's going Glock. I hate them. I used to be the biggest fanboy until I figured out how shoddy they are for the price, and how horrible the ergos are compared to others. It's gonna be one of the ones I have, or SW 5906, XD, M&P, or PX4. I'm really liking the 5906 idea.

Alrighty, then. Guess I will agree, no poly gun should be more than $300, but in any event...

A word of warning- arthritis is (generally)progressive. Shooting is an agressively irritating pass time. The 5906 is an excellent deal, but probably not the best long term solution; its rigid frame transfers all that energy to the hand, as will any all metal weapon. Poly is slightly better. The problem we have is that what most of us will percieve as "negligible" energy is likely to cause her serious problems with comparatively little shooting.

One other thought- I believe a Ruger GP100 will take the Super Redhawk grips. If so, a 3-4" GP100 loaded with some .38 spls, and using a Hogue Alaskan grip, with the sorbathane insert would be extremely mild. Obviously not an auto, but...

As someone mentioned, she could train weak-hand, but the problem is cross-eye dominance, which really degrades accuracy under pressure, unless she really trains, which may make the problem worse anyway.

Gunrunner45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My G/F loves her Springfield XD 9mm Subcompact and shoots it very well.

She hates shooting her Ruger LCP because it hurts her hands exactly as you described.

She has discovered she LOVES my XD .45 Tactical and now wants her own XD Tactical in 9mm or .40.

I created a monster!

One other thought- I believe a Ruger GP100 will take the Super Redhawk grips. If so, a 3-4" GP100 loaded with some .38 spls, and using a Hogue Alaskan grip, with the sorbathane insert would be extremely mild. Obviously not an auto, but...

BTW, I have a GP100, 6", it has the most muzzle flip of any hand gun I own. When loaded with .357mag it also has the most recoil.

Any Semi-auto is going to have less recoil than a revolver because the operation of the slide absorbs some of the recoil.

I think your best bet is going to be with some variety of 9mm semi-auto. I would take her to one of the ranges that has rentals and let her try a few and see what she prefers. My g/f hated my Glock but loves her XD. She can shoot the GP-100 but didn't really care for it for several reasons. I have talked with other women in our family and they all pretty had the same opinion. They all hate the long, stiff double action pull on the revolvers and they didn't like the recoil / muzzle flip.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
A 4" GP100 with mild .38 loads is very soft shooting. The triggers can be made pretty decent too. You might also look into shooting gloves for practice too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom