Need Help: More girlfriend handgun questions. Polymer, steel, 9mm, .45, & recoil.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll +1 the M&P 9. I had a Kahr CW9 with some upgrades that I was giving my daughter. She liked it alright, and it probably fit her very small hands better and I know it was far easier to conceal. But when she shot my M&P 9Pro she fired the first round and twisted her head to me with a huge smile on her face and said "I really like this!"

So I explained to her that the differences and advantages of the Kahr for CCW and she still wanted the M&P. We went to H&H and rented some M&Ps (both sizes) and Glocks and she still settled on the M&P full size. So that's what she has now.

But with all that said and in consideration of her arthritis have you considered a Ruger SP101 in .327 Federal Magnum? It's all steel and you can shoot .32 H&R mags or even .32 S&W Longs in it for practice and stoke it with .327s for defense. With .32 longs it should be about like shooting a .22.

Armedmomma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the same problem, My right wrist is also very weak. I carry the XD9 subcompact and do just fine with it. I can go 200+ rounds with it, no problems. I also do well with my husbands XDM .40...however it is too big and heavy for me to conceal.

I also have an airweight .38 snubby ..I can't make it through 50 rounds on that thing.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have her try the S&W M&P or a 4th gen Glock 17-19. I cant tell you how well ladies like the M&P!!! My wife has had about every gun made and she loves her M&P's!!!

One of the other rejected alternatives was the M&P9c, it was uncomfortable for her compared to the XD9 sub. The 17/19 options are just too big to carry for here, she'd wind up not having it with her.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you reload? I download 38 special for wife to practice with in her S&W 442, but keep low recoil hydrashocks in it for business. She won't practice with a factory load but I doubt that it would matter if the adrenalin was flowing.

rharp002

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
... should get at least a 9mm, not a .380...
... I'd prefer a 2-stack so that the rear is wider...
... She can't shoot blocky guns like Glock, HK, & Beretta - she has tiny hands...

I've got the Beretta PX4 in 9mm. It's double stack, with adjustable grips, and the rotating barrel takes out a lot of the recoil.

Just thought I'd throw it in there.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i did not see this mentioned in the posts. If your girlfriend is new to guns and has no developed skill, have you thought about having her shoot left handed? (or the hand that has no arthritis if there is one). If she is starting at scratch with a handgun it might not be that much of an adjustment.

Did you say home defense? if so, what about a shotgun over a pistol?

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an M&P9c and that's what I would highly recommend, it's the least snappy 9mm shot, not that I've shot a lot of different models but enough to feel like I made a thorough comparison.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got the Beretta PX4 in 9mm. It's double stack, with adjustable grips, and the rotating barrel takes out a lot of the recoil.

Just thought I'd throw it in there.

I'll second this. I love mine. Recoil is very tame and it feels like a natural extension of my hand while holding it. Super comfortable.

Reaction score
My wife has exactly the same problem at the base of her thumb. We borrowed and rented a number of pistols until we found the one she liked best.

The winner was a Springfield XD9 subcompact. Nothing else was close in terms of her comfort shooting with it. And, because she is comfortable with it she carries it rather than leaving it at home.

The rejected alternatives were:
Glock 19, Glock 26, Hk P7, Steyr M9-A1, Walther PPS, Bersa .380, J frame S&W revolvers (several both airweight and steel), S&W 3913, Colt Combat Commander, S&W 66 (using .38s), Hk P2000 compact, CZ Rami, Kahr CW9 and probably some other I don't remember.

Very helpful, Davek - thank you. Wonder why the XD was the winner - that IS one she can rent and try! Will have her try the M&P and the XD, along with these that I already have.

prdtor - ok, thank you, I will check those classes out! These polymer recommendations make me think that there may really be something of substance to this "polymer absorbs recoil" idea.

Latest posts

Top Bottom