Need Help: More girlfriend handgun questions. Polymer, steel, 9mm, .45, & recoil.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey gunrunner, which is easier on her hand, the subcompact 9, or the longslide .45 (XDs)? Thanks.

One other thought- I believe a Ruger GP100 will take the Super Redhawk grips. If so, a 3-4" GP100 loaded with some .38 spls, and using a Hogue Alaskan grip, with the sorbathane insert would be extremely mild.

That's very helpful and interesting; thank you. I really want to try that (for her).

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know you've mentioned price as a semi-concern depending on the gun, but one of my favorite guns is a 4" N-frame 627. It's an eight shot revolver that is pretty soft on recoil, they aren't cheap, but pretty awesome.

There wouldn't be any slide racking, she can practice with light .38's and carry .357 in a pretty high capacity.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey gunrunner, which is easier on her hand, the subcompact 9, or the longslide .45 (XDs)? Thanks.

That's very helpful and interesting; thank you. I really want to try that (for her).

I don't have ready access to a GP to try it for fit, but I'm pretty sure I have a spare Alaskan grip, if ya'll do go that route. Freebie, just LMK...

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still think a medium frame revolver with .38s and a good rubber grip is easy shooting.

The Model 10 I shoot has has Pachmyr grip and it shoots like a 22. It does however have a slab barrel which really tames the muzzle flip.

Gunrunner45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

She said the 9mm SC is the easiest to shoot but not by a huge difference. She really enjoyed shooting the .45 & thats why she was leaning toward a .40 Tactical. I'm guessing a 9mm Tactical would be very light on the hands.

Jeff Freeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tad.... I work in the Gunsmithing shop at H&H when your gal comes to shoot with Darin (If she already hasen't) she is welcome to shoot my G30SF that I reduced the grip & stippled, it will shock you in terms of "shootability" and tame recoil.

Latest posts

Top Bottom