Need help with kitchen knives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1 for the henckels, but as mentioned make sure you get the higher quality. Look for the forged knives, stay away from the stamped crap. Are you looking for a full set or just a few essential? Shuns just seem like a bit over kill for a home kitchen.

Henckels are great, but as above, stay with forged whatever you do. Found ours at Macy's on sale, nice set of 7 with scissors and a block; something like $300 on sale I think.

TRAINr

Marksman
Reaction score
I've got a set of Chicago Cutlery kitchen and steak knives I bought 25 years ago. Think I paid about $150 for the set back then. Good knives and likely will last me the rest of my life.

Mgarza_a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like my Henckels, had them a while, use them a lot, have held up well. If you keep your eye out, you can get them on sale like 50% off at Penney's or Kohl's. Just make sure to get the real deal, some of your name-brand knives like slitzer, whustoff etc have some lower end knives made in China for them, with their name.

+1 Whustoff and Henckels make great knives. I own a set of Whustoff's and they are excellent quality. I was surprised to see they sell these at the kitchen store in the new outlet mall.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like my Henckels, had them a while, use them a lot, have held up well. If you keep your eye out, you can get them on sale like 50% off at Penney's or Kohl's. Just make sure to get the real deal, some of your name-brand knives like slitzer, whustoff etc have some lower end knives made in China for them, with their name.

This. Henckels also has different lines with different price ranges but have not seen any made in the Far East. I can't afford their top line but the next grade down have served well. Used to get them at Linen and Things...you can probably find them at that kitchen store up there at Bryant and Second. Forgot the name of the store but it is in the shopping center on the SE corner.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shun or Four Star are really good for the money.

Al Mar makes individuals, but I've never seen a set (I think they make most of their stuff out of VG-10 or VG-2 - which are both good stainless steels that you can easily put a razor edge on with little effort)

Cutlery Shoppe has some of the best prices I've seen on most knives:

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/kitchenandprofessionalcutlery.aspx

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

I have had Henckels knives for years and love them.

acope

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are three kitchen stores out at the "outlet" mall at Reno and Council in OKC. They have the Henckels/Chicago Cutlery/ etc.

If you want to get some hands on and eyeball them before surfing the the best price, might be worth an afternoon.

Allen

Latest posts

Top Bottom