Need help with kitchen knives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dexter-Russell Sani-Safe knives. Excellent knives for people that actually use them for something other than cabinet decoration. Grainger industrial supply or Cabelas is where i've found them.
This. I have the wood handles, not the Sani-Safe, but I love my Dexter-Russell knives. I bought individual knives, but I ended up with eight that I really like (including a 10" chef's knife, as opposed to the usual 8"), a carving fork, and a pizza cutter for under $250. That's been several years ago, but D-R are still one of the little secrets of the cutlery world.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would also recommend avoiding some 12 piece set, when you end up using the same 2 or knives 99% of the time.

Get a good chef's knife and a paring. Then figure out if you need a utility (intermediate length), or filet, or serrated, or shears, or carving, or cleaver... based on the food you prepare.

I got a cheap 15 or so piece set of the aforementioned Chinese Henckel at my wedding, and they are crap. I'll be piecing a set of good knives together while I systematically destroy these with only moderate use. I literally throw away the dull ones and grab a new, unused one from the block rather than waste my time sharpening them.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had cutco for about 10 years. Last year they came out and sharpened them for free. They also replaced two knives free of charge, even though I told them that I used them screwdrivers and broke the tips off.

gunnut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Got my kitchen knife set at Sam's Club. Good quality affordable knives. Professional lifetime sharpening at no cost. I haven't had to send them off yet and still have a great sharp blade. My set did not come with scissors though, the newer models may though.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had cutco for about 10 years. Last year they came out and sharpened them for free. They also replaced two knives free of charge, even though I told them that I used them screwdrivers and broke the tips off.

You've had your own kitchen knives since you were 12?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score

+1, the service is great. i broke down and spend the $ for the cutco knives. it was a tough thing to do for a tightass like myself,but never regretted it

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife likes her Shun knives. You can get them on the internet or at some stores. Here is just one store that I found http://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/cutlery/knives-shun/. These things stay sharp for ever if you just use a steel on them every once in a while. When they do need sharpening you have to fine some one that really knows what they are doing since they are not ground at the same angle as most knifes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom