need help with scope on 300 aac blackout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonfishin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i just built a 300 aac blackout for deer hunting im looking for a tactical scope thats not to long and does not brake the bank i was thinking about the ncstar p4 sniper i would like to have at least a 3-9 zoom what do yall think

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's your budget? I wouldn't use NCStar on anything that was important like deer!

I look at it like this.... I wait all year to hunt. I spend $$$ on hunting clothes. I spend $$$$ on a place to hunt. I spend $$$ on a rifle. I spend $$$ on practice. I spend hours waiting on the deer. I'l spend hours enjoying the meat.
I have all this time and money invested in the pursuit, why go cheap on what you will be using to see the animal you put down?
The saying, "Buy once, cry once." was created for your question.

If you go cheap, you might end up dog cussing and stomping it. If you don't, you won't!!

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't go with NcStar for any purpose. There are any number of cheap 3-9x40 deer rifle scopes that would be much better. Even the $30-something Simmons 8-point 3-9x40 like they have at Academy and Wal Mart would be infinitely better than NcStar. NcStar is cheap-ass Chinese junk, and it is not a matter of if but WHEN it will break. The quality of the glass and light transmission is horrible too. When you don't know much about scopes they are tempting because of the price and the "tacticool" looks, but everyone who tries them eventually learns that they are ****.

Why do you feel the need for up to 9x for deer hunting? Especially considering the effective range of .300 BLK, I would think you would be better served with a more compact, lower powered scope. I would think something like a Weaver 1-3x, or some of the cheaper 1-4x scopes would be perfect for that role. .300 BLK is pretty much designed to replicate .30-30 ballistics out of an AR. If you look at what people use on .30-30 lever action deer rifles, it is usually a low powered scope of some kind. Those calibers make great compact, light weight brush guns for close-in hunting... I doubt you'll want to be taking any 300+ yard shots with it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cheap scopes, aren't. Particularly when they might cost you a hunt. Avoid the NCStar and all the other sub-$100 brands. The lowest I'd go is a Simmons or similar. Actually, I wouldn't go that low personally. Bushnell Elite 3200 is my starting point.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Millet DMS with a Burris PEPR mount. Just dialed mine in today. 4x is plenty for any shot I would be taking. Of course now I am not going deer hunting we decided to go to new orleans for thanksgiving just booked our room today.

Plus it offers versatility for a close range defense platform at home and for rifle matches.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score