Need Recommendations on hand gun for my wife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go back and try the .38 snub with 147gr target wadcutters. Federal if you can find them, probably a online purchase but they are getting more popular.

Airweights are brutal with heavy bullets and it seems +P is all the rage. Even more brutal. Wadcutters are better stoppers without the recoil and you aren't going to get pretty mushrooming in a snub anyway. You want around 700 FPS. 750 max out of the 2" barrel, otherwise you are right back in the recoil.

ETA: Also try them in a steel framed revolver. My 4" M15 is one of the funnest guns to shoot that I have with wadcutters. Almost as light as .22LR.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
MY friend got his wife a super lightweight 38 special revolver.
I tried my hardest to make a round that did not punish your palm.

Not talking woman palm I am talking grown man.
Those lightweights in my mind are a bad idea.
The recoil is BRUTAL.

Not something i like and I know for sure some small gal or child will hate them.
I can load 1475 fps 170 gr 357 mag load and shoot them in a 6" revolver and the recoil is less than a 125gr 700 fps from that light weight 38.

Ever shoot a Hi-Point 9MM.
They are stupid accurate and ultra reliable and not that big for what they are.
Recoil is minimal.

You will not put it in a small hand purse.

SPOONBILL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about a S&W EZ in 380? I know several people that really like those. Don't let the EZ part fool you. Yes it's great for those with low hand strength, but the ease of use makes it very appealing for anyone to use. The lighter 380 round and being a semi auto will absorb more of the felt recoil.

If you think 380 is too small, they do make a 9mm version.
I second this. My 74 year old mother has one and its a great little shooter.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When we played this game the VP9 was my petite wife’s clear favorite. The little Ruger .22 is her overall favorite though.

XrGoncg.jpg

red442joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take her to a gun store that rents guns. Let her handle every single one of them. Shoot the ones she says she likes. Rinse, repeat until she finds what she likes.

Also, find an NRA certified instructor. Pay for as many lessons as she wants/needs/is willing to take.

Tell her I said to have fun!
This^^^+2

Joe

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Recommend revolvers
Semi automatics are notorious for stove piping when the shooter does not have a strong wrist.

It took a long time for law enforcement to transition

Latest posts

Top Bottom