Never seen one of these before.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, for me, it's going to be a site specific deer rifle for now, and its going to need optics. I can see the target fine, but the correction in my glasses makes the irons fuzzy.

Thinking a good red dot would be perfect for this gun.

I have a favorite deer hunting spot that has a max range of 75 yrds. That's where it's going to work this fall.

Now it's time to get the chrony out, loader busy, and see what load works best.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember those.
This was one of those guns that didn't sell particularly well while in production but after ruger stopped making them lots of people had to have one.

I think one of the things that hurt sales at the time was an abundance of cheap surplus m1 carbines.
Those were the days.

Its a great brush gun for deer and hogs.
CB was right on the money about avoiding lead bullets and sticking to jacketed bullets.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember those.
This was one of those guns that didn't sell particularly well while in production but after ruger stopped making them lots of people had to have one.

I think one of the things that hurt sales at the time was an abundance of cheap surplus m1 carbines.
Those were the days.

Its a great brush gun for deer and hogs.
CB was right on the money about avoiding lead bullets and sticking to jacketed bullets.

10-4 on the lead bullets. Most lead manufacturers recommend velocity's less than 1000fps without gas checks to keep excess leading down.

Some of the new moly coated bullets might let one gain a little more velocity, but its not worth it. Jacketed bullets are pretty available. I have 500, 200 grain JHP's that I picked up at Wannamakers a few years ago for pistol rounds. They shot well, and cycled the action reliably in the pic I posted. If I dig deep enough in the reloading cabinet, there might be a box of 240 grain to try.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Were the Ruger 44 carbines with a rotary mag called "Deerfield"? I didn't remember a change in the magazine on the original carbines before production stopped.

I had one back in 1971 that had been frogged up by a couple of Bubbas with a cast bullet mold and a Lee Loader. It was not the lead that clogged the gas ports as much as the lube.

I use a Ruger 77/44 carbine now - my load is a 265 grain Hornady bullet over 23 grains of H110. My experience with the 240 grain bullets is the jacket can shed or fragment on a deer and not leave an exit hole, which can be important hunting in brushy areas. The 265 grain Hornady is a rifle bullet designed for the .444. Not sure how it would cycle in the Ruger auto, but we have nothing but good experience with it in my 77/44 and my son's Marlin lever.

Back in the mid-70's I saw a picture of a Ruger 44 auto in the NRA magazine that chain fired with some full metal jacketed .44 mag ammo. Wow! Looked like a grenade.

Cedar Creek

BMPregler

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Were the Ruger 44 carbines with a rotary mag called "Deerfield"? I didn't remember a change in the magazine on the original carbines before production stopped.

I had one back in 1971 that had been frogged up by a couple of Bubbas with a cast bullet mold and a Lee Loader. It was not the lead that clogged the gas ports as much as the lube.

I use a Ruger 77/44 carbine now - my load is a 265 grain Hornady bullet over 23 grains of H110. My experience with the 240 grain bullets is the jacket can shed or fragment on a deer and not leave an exit hole, which can be important hunting in brushy areas. The 265 grain Hornady is a rifle bullet designed for the .444. Not sure how it would cycle in the Ruger auto, but we have nothing but good experience with it in my 77/44 and my son's Marlin lever.

Back in the mid-70's I saw a picture of a Ruger 44 auto in the NRA magazine that chain fired with some full metal jacketed .44 mag ammo. Wow! Looked like a grenade.

Cedar Creek

Yes, I have one and it is a great tool for still hunting deer. I have a BSA red dot on mine.

Tom K

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fun fact - the 10/22 was introduced as a similarly styled companion rifle, for inexpensive .22 practice. Not the first time the understudy has upstaged the "star", but rarely by such magnitude.

Latest posts

Top Bottom