New .22 Pistol - Help me decide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
I am not actually buying this only for fun. Yesterday, surprisingly, my wife told me she wanted to learn to shoot. Well I had sold all of my .22s, and decided I need to get another for her to learn on, and of course, have some fun with it myself..

Have you thought about a revolver? They are a little less intimidating for new shooters to learn on than a semi-auto pistol and I hear the Ruger LCR in .22LR or Magnum is pretty sweet, though I do see you want something to enjoy yourself, too. The SR22 is really user friendly and easy to navigate for newbies, if I was going to introduce someone to pistol shooting this would be my go to for that purpose.

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you thought about a revolver?

Ding! Ding! Ding!
With the additional info, there it is....
There is a REALLY nice S&W .22lr in the classifieds right now, ipso facto. But man...they are high dollar! :bigeye:
I'd go with the Ruger, personally. (LCR or SR22)

p.s.
I hear you on the 100% tax - it is total bs. Just how it is here in America, land of the free, if ya wanna play with the "evil scary" toys...unfortunately. And it's only getting worse.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, I have thought about a revolver, and decided to go with a pistol because that is what I plan to move her to after she becomes comfortable and proficient with the .22.

Actually she may not even get past the M&P BB pistol I am going to start her out on, but that is my plan for now.

Logic tells me to get the M&P 22 because I will most likely have her move to a M&P9 when she is ready to move up, but I am exploring some of the other .22 pistol options out there.

If she gets to the point where she wants to pick out her own self defense weapon, I will certainly have her choose for herself, with a little guidance, of course.

Thanks again for all of the input so far.

chief63

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been through a few .22 pistols & revolvers and the M&P is my keeper. I like it being a full size M&P vs scaled down models. Easy to maintain and runs like a champ. As noted above, sights could be better so I did replace the front site with a nice fiber optic from Dawson Precision for $26.00. Unfortunately spare magazines have been impossible to get, but thats true for a lot of firearms right now.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been through a few .22 pistols & revolvers and the M&P is my keeper. I like it being a full size M&P vs scaled down models. Easy to maintain and runs like a champ. As noted above, sights could be better so I did replace the front site with a nice fiber optic from Dawson Precision for $26.00. Unfortunately spare magazines have been impossible to get, but thats true for a lot of firearms right now.

I have been noticing this.

Most of the new M&P22s come with only one magazine. Is that normal?

Right now I am leaning towards the M&P, but definitely need more than one mag.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned at least one of all on your list except for the M&P. I looked at it at the same time I looked at the SR22. I bought the SR22 and don't regret it. One of the most trouble-free pistols I own.

Latest posts

Top Bottom