New .22 Pistol - Help me decide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I am looking to get a new .22, and I am not sure which one I want.

It is between four different guns for now.

- Browning Buckmark

-Walther P22

-M&P22

-Ruger SR22

The Browning costs a little more, but I can get the other three for about the same price.

I have had .22 revolvers, and Ruger MKIIs, and MKIIIs, but I am looking for something different.

I know one option is to get all four and sell the ones I don't want to keep, but I really don't want to do that.

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit: If anyone here has one of these for sale, let me know.

Last edited:

Remington

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My suggestion would to skip on the Buckmark. To me it's to similar to the MKII or III. I've always liked the P22, but honestly I'd have to roll the dice on the last three as to which I'd get. A guy at work has the M&P and he doesn't like the sights. He says they're hard to see. So look them over when you go look/hold one.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I absolutely love my SR22P. Sight picture is great, grips are comfortable for my huge hands, and everyone elses girly hands. It has eaten everything I put in the mags. It's very accurate, but I don't like the double action trigger pull, or the amount of single action take up. I can't wait until they come out with another in tan... I'll be in line to buy another.

That being said, I still have a deep craving for a MkIII and a 1911-22

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my Ruger SR22.

I love his SR22 also!
So much so, I had my sights set on one.
Then, I randomly stopped in to check out the new gunsmitty's shop here in Lawton. He had an S&W M&P .22 and a GSG 1911-.22 in stock. After impulsive deliberation, I left with the GSG. I've only been able to shoot it once since I got it, but I really like it.
Just another option for you to consider...

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Another SR22 lover here. If you can score the new model with the factory threaded barrel, bonus.

I can see how the threaded barrel will add value for resale maybe, but I doubt I would put a suppressor on it, unless they make it a lot less expensive to own one.

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can see how the threaded barrel will add value for resale maybe, but I doubt I would put a suppressor on it, unless they make it a lot less expensive to own one.

Hey man, don't let the cost of suppressors intimidate you! If you can afford a "gun for fun," you can afford to suppress it.
A .22 suppressor starts at about $200, then you have to pay the unfortunate tax stamp of another $200. So, for the price of another handgun, you can have a suppressor that you can put on any other .22 that you own that is capable of hosting said suppressor. For life. Once you shoot one, you'll be hooked...

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Hey man, don't let the cost of suppressors intimidate you! If you can afford a "gun for fun," you can afford to suppress it.
A .22 suppressor starts at about $200, then you have to pay the unfortunate tax stamp of another $200. So, for the price of another handgun, you can have a suppressor that you can put on any other .22 that you own that is capable of hosting said suppressor. For life. Once you shoot one, you'll be hooked...

Oh I have shot .22s with suppressors, but I just can't make myself spend as much on tax as the item I am buying. 100% tax, no way!

I am not actually buying this only for fun. Yesterday, surprisingly, my wife told me she wanted to learn to shoot. Well I had sold all of my .22s, and decided I need to get another for her to learn on, and of course, have some fun with it myself.

I bought a Ruger MKIII a couple years ago for her to learn on, and she never would shoot it, and I sold it a couple of months ago.

Anyway, it's time for a new one. Thanks for all the replies so far, keep them coming.

Latest posts

Top Bottom