New and Improved Wise Foods ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mountain House and Backpackers Pantry are both tasty.

If I'm gonna have to use "premixed" meals I'd have to go with MH first, BP second and Wise last.

They say the new wise foods is less salty. It's suppose to be better.

It is less salty. And it is better. I'm glad I didn't buy a bunch of the "old" stuff and I am wondering if all the stuff on the shelves that is 50% off right now is the "old" stuff ... :scratch:

However, as long-term storage foods go, I'm still happier with buying my own "components" in #10 cans from a major supplier like Emergency Essentials, Safecastle, ReadyStore, Auguson Farms, Honeyville Grains ... (compare the prices per 1/2 cup serving in the #10 can to get the best price -- it will vary from supplier to supplier -- but so will the price from time to time so it pays to do your math homework :) ) to supplement what I can grow in a garden or raise with chickens and/or rabbits ...

There is no one-size-fits-all solution, so do what's best for your situation and realize that no one answer is perfect. The absolute best solution is a solution that has layers to it ... just like most survival problems have layers to them. Hang tight, guys!

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I'll try the Mountain House stuff next. The Wise would do in a pinch but I image more than two days eating that and things are bound to start going wrong.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I'll try the Mountain House stuff next. The Wise would do in a pinch but I image more than two days eating that and things are bound to start going wrong.

Mountain House is good. The wife and I have tried the chicken and rice and were pleased with it. You can buy MH pouches in most Walmart sporting goods sections to try out. This is going to be my next thing.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mountain-House-Just-In-Case-Essential-Bucket/21692736#Item+Description

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmm ... I think I may have that laying around here somewhere ... what "few" ingredients do you add if you don't mind my asking?

I add in some garlic powder, italian seasoning and parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and I think thats it. It makes a pretty decent alfredo sauce and I just mix it with water. about 3/4 to 1 cup mix with 2 cups water and cook it until it thickens. sometimes I add some canned chicken juice if i'm having chicken alfredo

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i add in some garlic powder, italian seasoning and parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and i think thats it. It makes a pretty decent alfredo sauce and i just mix it with water. About 3/4 to 1 cup mix with 2 cups water and cook it until it thickens. Sometimes i add some canned chicken juice if i'm having chicken alfredo

Thanks!! :D

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah the wise is a tad salty but not terrible. Mountain house is good as well as auguson farms and my favorite (besides real mre's) is efoods directs stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom