New Tablets: Surface II and Nexus 7

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I picked up a couple of new tablets recently and thought I'd share a bit about them in case any of you are thinking of picking one up because they both are pretty awesome for their own reasons.

The first one is the Surface II. It replaces last year's Microsoft Surface which wasn't too successful. This one has freakishly high screen resolution and a quad core processor that is really fast. The main reason I though that some of you might be interested in hearing about it is that it is a Windows RT tablet and comes with Office 2013. Considering the tablet costs about $430 and Office usually costs a couple hundred bucks on its own, that's not too bad of a deal. I use Excel a lot a work and am usually in my truck and this tablet is perfect for that thanks to its size. Unlike the Ipad, the Surface can actually be used for serious work. The memory can be expanded up to 65Gb
Windows RT (8.1) runs fast and I've had no problems so far. I picked up the keyboard cover my tab which is sort of like the Smart Covers that IPad put out a couple of years ago except this one doesn't suck. It attaches magnetically and the keyboard works great and is even backlit. You can either get that or a touch keyboard that has virtual keys (lame).
That tablet is oddly shaped since the screen mimics a monitor or wide screen TV but it looks outstanding. There is also a kickstand that makes it easier to watch movies or do work. The Surface doesn't quite replace your laptop bt it comes very close.
The only real drawbacks to the Surface II that I've seen so far is that there are nowhere near as many apps in the Windows Store as there are in ITunes(only about 125,000) . Also, Windows RT can only run apps; no installing programs like regular Windows 8 which is no big deal to me since this is just a tablet.
The keyboard covers are a bit expensive at $130 or $129 for the touch one. Anyone looking for a tablet that they can use for fun stuff and work should check out the Surface II

The other tablet I picked up is the Google Nexus 7. I got this one because I bought the original Nexus 7 last year and thought it was a pretty great tablet. The new one is way better. The screen is actually considered better than the IPad Mini with Retina Display by CNET. It has a Tegra 4 processor and is both thinner and lighter. The new Nexus 7 is really the main reason I wanted to tell you guys about these tablets because of one awesome feature: it's a full-fledged GPS. Most tablets and phones have navigation apps that act like GPS's but have to be connected to WI-FI or use your cellular data. The Nexus 7 does not. I downloaded Co-Pilot for $9.99 and the tablet works like any other GPS out there, of course this one has a sweet looking 7" touch screen and a quad core processor that allows it to be far more responsive than the Garmin I'm gonna dump on my wife. I've been driving around Wyoming for the past couple of week and it works flawlessly with ZERO internet connection. All this and the new Nexus 7 only costs $229 for the 16gb and $269 for the 32gb. Unfortunately there is no slot for more memory.
Everything else is pretty standard for an Android tablet except that the Nexus runs really fast. Every review that I've read so far names it as the best 7" tablet you can buy right now, which they all also said about last year's Nexus 7.

I just thought I'd let you guys know about these tablets if you didn't already because I'm so happy with them. There are so many tablets out there now that it's too easy to pick up a piece of crap and waste your money but here are two that I think are really good.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently got a Surface II Pro and am really pleased. It's both a tablet and a "real" computer which is much more than I can say for the iPad that I was replacing.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a 2012 model Nexus 7 and love it. I suspect the wife bought me a new one so I'm looking forward to trying it out soon. She wants my "old" one for books. I love my wife for listening... now if I had only done the same so I could figure out what to get her...

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've got a 2012 model Nexus 7 and love it. I suspect the wife bought me a new one so I'm looking forward to trying it out soon. She wants my "old" one for books. I love my wife for listening... now if I had only done the same so I could figure out what to get her...

Its worth it just for the GPS alone

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got the Nexus 5 when it released because my old HTC phone was a POS. LOVE IT! Been thinking about getting a 7 or 10 as well.

Transmitted via Tactical Telecommunications Device

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanx. Just solved a mystery for a couple of Xmas gifts. Get the kid in highschool the Nexus to replace his old one and the college kid gets the Surface 2 to replace her 3 yr old laptop.

Latest posts

Top Bottom