New to old school

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang! I'm gonna have to get with y'all when it's time to update my d/d - 1962 Chevy 1/2 ton. No speed demon - 235/4 spd, but rear end gears swapped out to make it highway drivable. Fenton headers/Weber 2 bbl, electronic ignition. Dependable as sunrise.

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guys,

I just became a member of this site and have been reading this thread. This thread has answered a lots of question I had lingering inside my head. This year is the first year that I’m going to hunt with an old fashion muzzleloader. I will be heading to range this weekend for the first time. Here is my set up. Thompson Center Hawken, Hornady round ball (.490), Thompson butter patches and FFG powder. I hope I can hit something. Again thanks for the great information.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome Louro!!!!

I was loading my Muzzle loader for the first time years ago at banner road gun range.. I had power belt bullets and pyrodex powder and some #11 caps.
Shot a single cap and then swabbed the bore with a dry patch then poured 90 gr pyrodex down the barrel and seated a 295Gr HP powerbelt on top. I DID NOT pound the rod up and down on the bullet like i seen 8 other guys there do.

I just pushed firmly on the ram rod.
Installed a cap , aimed and fired and POP!
No BOOM!
Installed another cap POP.
Another POP------ BOOM!!!
I loaded or almost loaded another round .. when this old long bearded guy came over to me.
he asked if i could take some criticism.. I stated yes i can..
He stated that he liked the way i loaded and seated my bullet..
And that he has a fool proof way to load those side lock type rifles.

I said lay it on me ..

This is how he said to do it.
Pour powder into barrel, then tap but of gun on ground about 7 times.. this shakes the powder into the area
under the nipple,..
Then seat the bullet and cap it and fire it.

I did this and was rewarded with a BOOM.
Now get this NO click Boom NO POP Boom just BOOM.

He also stated after he seats the bullet he will remove the nipple to make sure there is powder under it.
If there is none he will trickle some into that void.

I will say i have never had a misfire since.. That first shot or first trigger pull is all you have sometimes. so make it count.

I have since found i do not need to tap the butt on the ground.. but i will hold the barrel up and have the nipple down. holding the gun at an angle and take my palm and pound on the side of the gun to vibrate the powder into the nipple area.
Just straight pouring it in will create POP-- BOOM...
Have fun!

Oh that day at the range shooting iron sights with that first load produced a clover leaf all bullets touching 3 shot group.
Low and left but all touching...I thought i missed the target on the second 2 shots because all i could see was the first hole.. So i aimed high and right and put one in the bullseye.
Then walked out after 4 shots to look at paper and i was Floored! A cva 1:48 twist bobcat rifle from walmart for 58 bucks.

First shot i took at a deer was shot #5 from that rifle.. 75 yards small doe..85 field dressed
I aimed at the neck and hit it in the neck ..It literally picked that deer up and slammed it on the ground.

Went over to it and the head was about to fall off.. only about 8 sq inches of hide holding it to the rest of the body..
No meat or bone or silver skin, nothing to help hold it..
Respect those guns!!!!! They will rip things apart.
The only round i found that is almost that devastating is the Hornady 178 A max..
Sorry if gross but i do not like to chase deer.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Guys,

I just became a member of this site and have been reading this thread. This thread has answered a lots of question I had lingering inside my head. This year is the first year that I’m going to hunt with an old fashion muzzleloader. I will be heading to range this weekend for the first time. Here is my set up. Thompson Center Hawken, Hornady round ball (.490), Thompson butter patches and FFG powder. I hope I can hit something. Again thanks for the great information.

Welcome to the site. We get a lil off topic sometimes. But we have some very knowledgeable members. Lawton has some Fat guys down there that I'm sure could help ya out. If you have muzzleloader questions, post em here and I promise OSA will get em answered.

Your combo will work good. Just make sure your nipple is cleaned n clear and your using good caps.

Powder, patch, ball.....don't forget the order ;)

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys,for the warm welcome. I have been BP hunting for quite sometime but not with a sidelock. I feel shame to admit that I have been using a in line, well I will see after the season is over.

regards

Lou

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks guys,for the warm welcome. I have been BP hunting for quite sometime but not with a sidelock. I feel shame to admit that I have been using a in line, well I will see after the season is over.

regards

Lou

No shame in inlines....they shoot good, are reliable and are accurate.....they just ain't as cool. ;)

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Free Trapper if it was not for all the Ford parts on my cars they would not be as stout and reliable.

1947 dodge truck.. original frame with 1980 Ford Pinto front suspension grafted in with 2x3 rectangular.
Ford 9" rearend with Ford truck springs.. Ford flex fan on Modified Ford serpentine water pump pulley mounted to
chevy pump and chevy engine..Ford alternator pulley and alternator bracket on GM internal reg. alternator.

My 57 chevy has the same 6 rib serpentine set up with Ford parts and a ford light switch. Later it may get a 9".

Hope that makes you feel better.

OH i do not want to leave anyone else out.
That 47 dodge truck also has Motorcycle 1157 sockets in the front lamps with Harley Davidson 3" amber lenses.
Honda steering knuckles.
Mitsubishi eclipse Sockets for rear lights mounted in 62 impalla lenses.
Chevy truck speedometer and gas pedal.
Ford E150 master cylinder.

NOW Sidelock VS Inline seems a bit silly doesn't it.

It's a run what ya brung world.
Or shoot what ya got.

Latest posts

Top Bottom