New to old school

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fords are good but Chevy is better. One more question. let say with 80 grains of powder and a round ball what would be the maximum range that you will take a shot? I know all depend in the shooter capabilities but I'm wondering in the knock down power of this load. I know that my Ideal shot will be 75 yards and 100 is pushing it.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Fords are good but Chevy is better. One more question. let say with 80 grains of powder and a round ball what would be the maximum range that you will take a shot? I know all depend in the shooter capabilities but I'm wondering in the knock down power of this load. I know that my Ideal shot will be 75 yards and 100 is pushing it.

I assume your talking about a deer. So many variables. I'd Hazzard a guess of 200yds. Personally, I can't see good enough to hit a pie plate everytime at 100yds, so that's about my limit.

Due to the nature of lead and "slow" muzzle velocity, the round ball is a perfect a match as there is as far as stopping power. The problems start to occur when muzzle velocity is too fast. Then the lead ball tends to not be as efficient or effective.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Lol, 800 f.p.e. is what ya need to cleanly kill a deer. Naa that's the beauty of the round ball. Says a .50 loaded with 80-90 grains give ya about 800 f.p.e. at 50yds.

Guess my .40 won't work. Wonder what ballistics is for a .395RB loaded with 60gr??

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess those deer hit with the old 30-30 i have should have not died on the spot with that 150gr round that hit them with less than 450 FPE at over 300 yards.
That 800 rule is just silly in my book. Look at 357 mag energy. Many deer have died from that round, some at pretty good distances.

Latest posts

Top Bottom