night hunting in ok

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Then where are they listed?

The answer you seek is in your first response to the OP. But, I'll be nice and help you out, this is from page one of the regulations.

These are not a legal document. This is an interpretive summary of the Titles 29 and 800 of Oklahoma Statutes governing Fish and Wildlife laws as established by the Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation Commission and contains those rules that affect the average angler. For a complete listing of official regulations, you can obtain copies of current Oklahoma Statutes through your local library.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are mistakes in the regs that you pick up at the store.
As explained to me by Cpt. Tracy Daniel of the ODW. The title 800 law that comes from the legislature, goes to a committee at the ODW.
That committee then does their best to get a happy medium between the Legalese in the title 800 law, and get it into layman's terms, while still maintaining the intent of the law.
They are human, and humans make mistakes.
Let me give you some examples;
The reg on Sooner lake fishing in the hand out says its legal to fish from the dam structure.
Going to the title 800 regs it says it is forbidden to fish from the dam structure.
That same title 800 law also specifies that Talipia are not allowed to be used as bait on Sooner. That reg does not appear in the hand out.

Now as far as the interpretative part, if a GW come up to you, (not pointing out anybody, just a generalization) and your fishing from the dam structure, and explains its actually not legal, it might be a good idea to pack up and leave.
Waving the handout in the air, while quoting it as a legal document at the top of your lungs, might be "interpreted" by the GW as a personal desire to receive a ticket.

Here is a link to the title 800 regulations. Its actually interesting to read them, and then compare with the hand-out. Thats how I found out about the Sooner Lake descrepancies.

http://www.oar.state.ok.us/oar/codedoc02.nsf/All/E5047CA81DF5D74C86257A380011901F?OpenDocument

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Night shooting permits are given to land owners only. However a land owner can allow others to use the permit.
Good luck getting one though, most game wardens won't give them out to just anyone. I was lucky to get one for hogs with a bow and was told I wouldn't be given one for guns.

I have never experienced the problems you have getting a spotlighting permit for hogs. I've never been denied, but they have been a little less willing to give it out during deer gun season. Other than that, they say have at it. I'm not the land owner on some places but the warden knows me and knows I have permission to be on the land. As far as hogs goes, I doubt many game wardens are going to refuse someone with a legit hog problem. Coyotes... eh. Just don't hear of many legit coyote problems. I stress the word legit there.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good post Dennis! There are things under title 800 that will be to your advantage to know and benefit you in the long run. The night hunting reg is just an example. I'm still amazed every year when someone tells me I can't night hunt in Oklahoma.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never experienced the problems you have getting a spotlighting permit for hogs. I've never been denied, but they have been a little less willing to give it out during deer gun season. Other than that, they say have at it. I'm not the land owner on some places but the warden knows me and knows I have permission to be on the land. As far as hogs goes, I doubt many game wardens are going to refuse someone with a legit hog problem. Coyotes... eh. Just don't hear of many legit coyote problems. I stress the word legit there.

I'm not saying I had problems, it was actually pretty simple.
My uncle does have a hog problem, we were denied the use of guns at night. But we wernt trying to get it, we wanted to bow hunt with lights. He didn't have a problem with that at all.
But I was the one talking to the game warden about it and he told me he could not give me a night shooting permit because it didn't own the land. That my uncle had to get it and let me use it. He straight up told me the only land owners can obtain the permit. That being said the idea you can get one for public is out of the question. It don't matter how many years you've been doing it. Your not doing it legally or the game warden is just bending the rules for you.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My response was only to coyote hunting at night, which is legal with a permit from your local warden. Private or public, it doesn't matter.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My response was only to coyote hunting at night, which is legal with a permit from your local warden. Private or public, it doesn't matter.

With the use of "artificial lights"??

I am aware that the regs allow for night hunting coyotes with shotguns using size 6 or smaller shot and natural light, never heard of anyone getting a permit to hunt coyotes at night with a spotlight?? In fact, the regs seem to specifically prohibit it??

If you are somehow getting a "permit" to hunt coyotes at night with a spotlight, I'd sure like to know more!! I have done it in Texas and it is the most effective way to hunt coyotes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom