night hunting in ok

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not saying I had problems, it was actually pretty simple.
My uncle does have a hog problem, we were denied the use of guns at night. But we wernt trying to get it, we wanted to bow hunt with lights. He didn't have a problem with that at all.
But I was the one talking to the game warden about it and he told me he could not give me a night shooting permit because it didn't own the land. That my uncle had to get it and let me use it. He straight up told me the only land owners can obtain the permit. That being said the idea you can get one for public is out of the question. It don't matter how many years you've been doing it. Your not doing it legally or the game warden is just bending the rules for you.

I see what you're saying. I misinterpreted what you said and thought the landowner had been denied one and had a hog problem. That just didn't follow logic. I'd agree that public land spotlighting would never happen.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the use of "artificial lights"??

I am aware that the regs allow for night hunting coyotes with shotguns using size 6 or smaller shot and natural light, never heard of anyone getting a permit to hunt coyotes at night with a spotlight?? In fact, the regs seem to specifically prohibit it??

If you are somehow getting a "permit" to hunt coyotes at night with a spotlight, I'd sure like to know more!! I have done it in Texas and it is the most effective way to hunt coyotes.

What interests me more is the fact that he says his permit is good for public land!
Now, we have obtained "permission" from a GW to spotlight yote at night but no permit was issued. It was a day by day thing and we had to call him to make sure it was ok. We were only also allowed to do it on our own land or friends that he knew we had permission to be on.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once again, are you talking about a permit to shoot coyotes at night using an artificial light (spotlight)??? If so, tell us more about how you get such a permit because I'd sure like to get one!!

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You get it from your local warden. It is only good for coyotes. You must list everyone that will be hunting with you, where you will be hunting, shotgun only, no shot larger than #6 shot, and you must get it 24 hours in advance. You can use a handheld light. Hope this helps you.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own some hogs and they occasionally get loose. One of these days, I'm going to get fed up and shoot the suckers day or night. Nothing in the regs about shooting my own livestock at night with or without spotlights or night vision. Catch my drift?

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You get it from your local warden. It is only good for coyotes. You must list everyone that will be hunting with you, where you will be hunting, shotgun only, no shot larger than #6 shot, and you must get it 24 hours in advance. You can use a handheld light. Hope this helps you.

Thanks for the response.

A few years back I was having problems with beavers in my pond, I knew the game warden fairly well (actually helped him catch some poachers with an illegal deer) and asked him about shooting the beavers at night with a spotlight, NO GO, even though we had known each other for a few years, he would NOT allow me to use a light to shoot beavers in my own pond.

I guess you must know a very easy going warden!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom