Nonresident permit stop in OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there a regularly scheduled class or is it a call and schedule one on one class with the instructor? And I can have this permit in addition to my OK permit? TY.

nofear, I did my AZ NR class at Safe Home, and repete did my class. I can't recommend him enough. Fast, simple, straight forward, does the finger prints for you. You may shoot him a PM.

You can have multiple carry licenses though. One does not void the other. I know a few people with Oklahoma, AZ, and a different NR (state slips my mind), and they are pretty much covered anywhere they want to go in the US.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You wouldn't happen to know what the process is to obtain a Maine NR permit would you?
here is their application packet and instructions: http://maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/documents/Weapons/non-resident application package.pdf

Fill it out, go get a passport pic at Walgreens for $7, get a certificate for some sort of training, attach the $60 check, and mail it in. They will mail you a license in a couple months.

FYI, their law says that proof of handgun safety training is required. However, they will not issue you a license unless this training includes at least some live fire component. I submitted a certificate for an online class and was denied. However, this class can be through any recognized gun organization or governmental agency. Pretty much any pistol training class will suffice... so if you go this way, you don't have any is

Maine sucks compared to Utah, Az, Florida, or Virginia as far as number of states with reciprocity....
Yep, pretty much the only reason to do this is lack of a fingerprinting requirement, low cost, and ease of acquisition. And of course it is perfectly valid in Oklahoma.

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
here is their application packet and instructions: http://maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/documents/Weapons/non-resident application package.pdf

Fill it out, go get a passport pic at Walgreens for $7, get a certificate for some sort of training, attach the $60 check, and mail it in. They will mail you a license in a couple months.

FYI, their law says that proof of handgun safety training is required. However, they will not issue you a license unless this training includes at least some live fire component. I submitted a certificate for an online class and was denied. However, this class can be through any recognized gun organization or governmental agency. Pretty much any pistol training class will suffice... so if you go this way, you don't have any is

Yep, pretty much the only reason to do this is lack of a fingerprinting requirement, low cost, and ease of acquisition. And of course it is perfectly valid in Oklahoma.

Thanks Henschman.

repete34

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks excat_56

Next class is Sat 4/25/2015

Application, fingerprint cards, certificate, fingerprint service and envelope to mail everything in is provided at the class. You can leave the class and drive a mile away and mail it. The permits from AZ are coming back in about 30days.

You also get 5% off on purchases made the day of the class!

Last edited:

audiophile

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Any OK residents with an Arizona NR permit (and no OK permit) been stopped by OK LE? If so any issues?
According to the SDA section 1290.26
- I am paraphrasing - if you are carrying under a different state's NR license and you are asked to present said license you must also provide a valid government issued license also from that state. In other words you must be a resident of that state to carry under it's license. I would say it would not be valid if you are an Oklahoma resident and carrying under another state's license. My interpretation of that paragraph. May be wrong. May be right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom