Nonresident permit stop in OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
According to the SDA section 1290.26
- I am paraphrasing - if you are carrying under a different state's NR license and you are asked to present said license you must also provide a valid government issued license also from that state. In other words you must be a resident of that state to carry under it's license. I would say it would not be valid if you are an Oklahoma resident and carrying under another state's license. My interpretation of that paragraph. May be wrong. May be right.

You are referring to paragraph B of 1290.26 and that paragraph is referring to non-permitting states (a state that allows concealed or open carry without a license and does not issue licenses). IF your state does not issue licenses, but allows residents to concealed carry, you can concealed carry in OK as long as you have a state issued ID card from that state. I don't believe persons from a non-permitting state are allowed to open carry in OK. Paragraph A is the relevant one for non-resident licenses.

repete34

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are referring to paragraph B of 1290.26 and that paragraph is referring to non-permitting states (a state that allows concealed or open carry without a license and does not issue licenses). IF your state does not issue licenses, but allows residents to concealed carry, you can concealed carry in OK as long as you have a state issued ID card from that state. I don't believe persons from a non-permitting state are allowed to open carry in OK. Paragraph A is the relevant one for non-resident licenses.

rhart is referring to;

The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state, or if the state is a nonpermitting carry state, this state shall reciprocate under the permitting law of that state.

A. Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed or unconcealed carry upon the authority and license of another state is authorized to continue to carry a concealed or unconcealed firearm and license in this state; provided the license from the other state remains valid. The firearm must either be carried unconcealed or concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed or unconcealed firearm pursuant to a valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued in another state.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say it would not be valid if you are an Oklahoma resident and carrying under another state's license. My interpretation of that paragraph. May be wrong. May be right.

Urban myth been going around at least 10 years. Heard it about once a week when I was doing Utah classes in Oklahoma.
One fellow kept posting "The OSBI does not allow it."
I sent it to the OSBI and got the following response:

Subject:RE: SDA reciprocity
Date:08/08/2006 08:22
To:[email protected] <[email protected]>
It is not up to the OSBI. Individual states have to make that decision. Oklahoma honors all other state's gun permits.

Crosstimbers Okie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've lived in Oklahoma my whole life. I did it because it was about $150 cheaper with half the wait time. I also took the class in my living room in about 15 minutes.

When it expires I will get an Oklahoma one but I could get this one quicker and it seemed like a no brainier.

I will admit I do worry about running into some cop who doesn't know about reciprocity laws but I figure that hopefully won't be in Edmond/okc which is mostly where I travel.

Pray that some dumbass arrests you for committing a legal act.

Crosstimbers Okie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, $70 is kind of steep for an online course that doesn't include fingerprinting (I assume fingerprinting is required by VA). I took my course which included fingerprinting at Safe Home Consulting in Tulsa for $60. Fingerprinting will cost you $25 if you can find someone that will do it. SHC also does courses in other cities - just check out their website to see the class schedule. I took the course and got fingerprinted on a Saturday and mailed the application in at the post office the same day. I got my permit about 3 weeks later.https://api.viglink.com/api/click?f...INE Ar15 store&txt=www.safehomeconsulting.com

Depends on the state. In Missouri the class typically costs between $100 & $125. In Kansas it's even more expensive.

Crosstimbers Okie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also only have an AZ NR permit at this point. I also took the class from Safe Home Consulting. The Oklahoma permit is too expensive, and expires the second you move out of Oklahoma. It's a waste of money and I fail to see why anyone would bother getting one unless you want to go to a state that requires you have a resident permit (colorado or florida essentially).

The federal gun free school zone act is the only good reason, besides showing the legislature that there is support for concealed carry and letting the state & county make a little money off of it.

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone from Open Carry Texas was saying that Arizona accepted their hunter safety course as a training class. Don't know if Oklahoma's is also, but it does say in the statue that they are accepted:

3. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone from Open Carry Texas was saying that Arizona accepted their hunter safety course as a training class. Don't know if Oklahoma's is also, but it does say in the statue that they are accepted:

3. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

Now that is slightly scary to think to be using. I went thought that class when I was 7 or 8 years old....

They should allow constitutional carry, or at least if there is a training class requirement, have it be something a little more legit. There is no "training" in a hunters safety course. The minute the "anti's" scrutinize things when something bad happens, tearing a program like that apart is easy, which in the end could just end up being worse than no training at all.

airpowmech

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now that is slightly scary to think to be using. I went thought that class when I was 7 or 8 years old....

They should allow constitutional carry, or at least if there is a training class requirement, have it be something a little more legit. There is no "training" in a hunters safety course. The minute the "anti's" scrutinize things when something bad happens, tearing a program like that apart is easy, which in the end could just end up being worse than no training at all.
It is not scary at all and the antigun nuts have plenty of ammunition if they want. Heck some states don't require any classes for their permits.

Latest posts

Top Bottom