1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Now this from the Anti-2A lot...

Discussion in 'Law & Order' started by druryj, Mar 10, 2021.

1. druryj

druryj Administrator Staff Member

Administrator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
  2. Iron sharpens Iron

Iron sharpens Iron Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Allowing Felons to vote novel idea.

3. Matt Giroux

Matt Giroux Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I think this could be an interesting thing for certain. IMO If someone made a stupid and non-violent decision when they were 16-18, and now they are in their 30s-40s, have done their time and have become an upstanding citizen, I see no reason that they should continue to be penalized. HOWEVER, this should not be a sweeping legislative action, it should be reviewed on a case and circumstance specific basis. Kind of like the restoration of right to own a firearm.

MCVetSteve likes this.
  4. TedKennedy

TedKennedy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    "One of the other major concerns is who is allowed to vote. Under Biden's order, felons will have their voting rights restored upon the completion of their sentence."

So what? Once sentence and probation is done, debt has been paid. All rights restored once that is done.

My complaint with all this is the means to achieve it. Congress not writing laws anymore, agencies and presidents create laws with the stroke of a pen.

chadh2o, PBramble and Matt Giroux like this.
  5. Matt Giroux

Matt Giroux Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I agree to that point as well. I'm not a fan no matter the president, we have checks and balances for a reason.

MCVetSteve, DavidMcMillan and druryj like this.
  6. wawazat

wawazat Sharpshooter

Is this not what the pardon process is for? That way the nature of the crime and the behavior of the convicted felon after completing their sentence can be evaluated to determine if restoration of rights could potentially bring harm to the public?

RickN likes this.
  7. ConstitutionCowboy

ConstitutionCowboy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I see it as if you've served the time, you return to society with each and every right completely intact. If you can't be trusted with any sort of arm, you must be kept in prison or an institution if you haven't been executed. Plain and simple, easy to understand, and effective. This is about trust, not punishment/penalizing.

Woody

8. HoLeChit

HoLeChit Semper Fidelis

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I agree with this. Had a buddy with a felony cause he had some weed on him. now its legal, and he's still a felon. Not a bad guy, wasn't dealing, just had a little too much on his person. I don't see why he couldn't eventually get his rights to vote and own firearms again. aside from his one transgression he had a spotless record and is a stand up guy.

TedKennedy and Matt Giroux like this.
  9. Catt57

Catt57 Gill-Gun Guru

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Prior to 1968 once a Felon served their sentence their rights were automatically restored. I believe that once you've done your time the punishment should also end.

MCVetSteve, TedKennedy and PBramble like this.
  10. Matt Giroux

Matt Giroux Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    That is my point exactly, have had a couple friends in similar situations when they were younger. But now they can’t buy their son a 22 cause of a stupid past decision made when they were a teenager.

HoLeChit likes this.