NRA press conference live at 10:00 am-stream live at NRA.ORG

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not a gun problem. It's not a video game problem. It IS a people problem and until we snap out of this "We are all OK" mentality/society we are sunk no matter what. If someone is mentally unstable they do indeed have rights, but so do we correct? Why is their right to privacy more important than my family's right to live? We don't blame cars for drunk drivers and we don't blame spoons for being overweight so why it the gun blamed here? Us Okie's have been forever effected by someone using fertilizer and diesel when 168 of our own people were killed. It's not the tool, it's the person.

Totally agree.

The speech kinda addressed the issues, but not near enough, nor good enough. At least the NRA said something. It's about time. This is not a gun issue, and that must get emphasized.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought that it was a good speech for the most part. I could have done without the video game and movie reference though. But overall I believe that he got the point across about what they are wanting to do. He gave some very good ideas and showed that the NRA wants to help. And at the same time he made it known that they were still behind us gun owners 100%. I like the police in schools idea. I think that it could really do some good. I really liked the comments about when the president is being guarded it is ok for guns to be used but when they are used by ordinary citizens it is wrong and also the comment about how the NRA was respectful of the mourning the people were going through while others were using the tragedy for their own political gain. Those were very good statements. I am still a member and will continue to support the NRA! I am tired of hearing people on here bash it like it is horrible.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Gunowners dont want a Nat'l Regestry of firearms. Blaming games or movies is the same as blaming guns"

I have to agree.
No gun owners don't want a national registry. That was never said in this speech. They did say they thought a national registry of mental health would be useful. I don't like hearing them blame video games either but they do have a lot of violence and young children should not be able to play them. They are made for adults. There is a lot of trash that is displayed on tv and in movies and it is almost glorified by people. So I get what he was talking about. But people are going to do bad things regardless if there is bad games and movies or not.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are predisposed to violent behavior, then you are more likely to be violent, a video game or movie isn't going to change that one way or the other.

I respectfully disagree. if you are predisposed to be violent and then are subjected to violence constantly you will be more likely to become violent. if you are predisposed to violence and are not exposed to movies that glorify killing like Punisher and others then you will be less likely to do these things. Someone might be predisposed to be violent but where do they come up with these ideas to do these things like go shoot up a school? Let me tell ya what, they dont think it all up all by themselves most times.

My feedback on Wayne's speech is that he did a REALLY poor job of making a case for gun owners. He said (basically) why is a gun in the hands of a secret service agent, a soldier, or a cop good but in the hands of an armed security at school bad?

He mentions the mil/LEO and not much else. If I were an Anti I would say "You are right a gun in the hands of a soldier or cop is good, and thats exactly what I want. Only guns in the hands of soldiers or cops. Take them away from everyone else."

He should have said something more like "Why is a gun in the hands of aunt Betty defending her house from someone intent on raping her bad? Why is a gun in the hands of a neighbor who might hear your alarm going off and come running bad?"

Also he says "Would you rather have a gun in the hands of a cop a mile away or a minute away?" What the hell is the difference? A cop a mile away might be able to get to me in under a minute, so thats my choice. A real stupid question I thought.

Last edited:

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish he, or someone, would bring up how many times a year firearms are used for defense by citizens.

So far what I've seen on various news shows is they basically just dismiss the NRA's proposals. Lou Dobbs is a nice change from all the anti-gun crap; he's usually pretty pro gun.

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a problem that Mr. Lapierre says,

"I call on Congress today to act immediately, to appropriate whatever is necessary to put armed police officers in every school - and to do it now, to make sure that blanket of safety is in place when our children return to school in January."

Strange how an organization that supports one portion of the Constitution seeks a remedy by asking the fed.gov to involve itself in an issue where the power is not enumerated within the Constitution. Conservatives are as much an enemy of the Constitution as the progressives.

If you want this problem solved, do it at the local and state levels. The more you rely on the fed.gov the more you lose your freedoms.

I'm of the opinion that the fed.gov will likely move semi-automatic firearms to Class 3 status... thus requiring registration and a tax stamp.

Esoog

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Could they picked a more charismatic speaker? Yes, but at the end of the day we have him. I wished they would have said more to ensure the pro-gun community that they were 100% behind us and they would fight and not back down; however, I believe this press conference wasn't about that. It was more to show that the government was more into taking rights away from everyday citizens than protecting our children. The NRA called the government out with back to school deadline of having armed security at the schools. Instead obama wants his gun control task force to have proposals by January, never hinting at enforcing laws that are already on the books or increasing security for our children. Also with the NRA proposing "The National School Shield" at least someone is attempting to make our schools safer. I am in public schools every day and the only weapon I have is my Leatherman, would be nice to have a better way to defend myself and our children.

As for the NRA? I hope they are just patiently waiting, not wanting to show their hand before Sheriff Biden and his taskforce shows theirs.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Also he says "Would you rather have a gun in the hands of a cop a mile away or a minute away?" What the hell is the difference? A cop a mile away might be able to get to me in under a minute, so thats my choice. A real stupid question I thought.

Yep...

Latest posts

Top Bottom