NRA press conference live at 10:00 am-stream live at NRA.ORG

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just e-mailed the local school superintendent telling her she needs to focus exclusively on armed security on a permanent basis for every school. Suggest you do likewise.

There is too much talk about better communication, front door hardening, showing ID etc.. Without on site, armed security of some sort these things have little benefit.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think they needed to throw a bone to the anti's. Some kind of change, no matter how small. Instead he used the argument the anti's hate the most, we need more guns.

They're just going to be more determined to take as much as they can now.

Throwiny bones to the anti-gun crowd at this point would be a huge mistake. They will then start the real negotiating from that position.

The antis are going full bore in their direction, the NRA needs to go full bore the other direction. Then if we must compromise it will be somewhere in the middle not way far to the left.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Violence by the mentally ill is a symptom of a massive problem in our society that we have with dealing with the mentally ill. He was right to call those that kill children monsters, but the focus has to be on how do we STOP these people from being monster in the first place, and what can be done to limit monster's access to tools that can be used for violence. Look at nearly every mass shooting in America, and you have a clinically diagnosed crazy person on the other end. A mentally ill person who doesn't get help is VERY LIKELY to be prone to acts of violence.

To reference a 15 year old video game just screams to the pop culture loving news media that the NRA is out of touch. To spend more time talking about a culture of violence brought on by the entertainment industry, when you make a 2 second passing remark about the mentally ill is a dumb move. We could actually fix some problems if we brought attention to the mentally ill, and people could focus more on who these monstrous killers are, and not what they used for their acts of voilence.

The anti crowd doesn't want to talk about what we can do to prevent so many killers in society, and the NRA is more then happy to let the anti crowd guide the conversation.

They are right about having an armed guard at every school, and not limiting people's rights to defend themselves in public places like schools, but that can't be the crown jewel of their plan.

If we can't turn the conversation to focus on the real problems the actual "killers" then we won't win this war of public opinion.

Priority one is to protect the kids. Beyond that I agree the focus needs to be on the killers and not the means they use. How our society got this backwards mystifies me.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree about not throwing any bone to the anti's. Once you compromise one iota to these people the more they want to take. And right now they want to take as much as they can.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first part of the speech is the only part that aggravated me. He could have just said that "we apologize for not making a statement earlier but felt it the wait was necessary out of respect for the victims of the tragedy last Friday". Something to that effect. It didn't fell right the way he worded it. I don't know why just didn't feel respectful.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, but if you think mentioning mortal kombat in the context which it was discussed makes the NRA out of touch, your are blind. He listed several games and movies that are still popular. His point was that the media demonizes the NRA for gun violence and then the same channel airs advertisements to go see Jango and for video games like wolrd of warcraft and Assasin's Creed. That is true hypocrisy. I was so pissed when I heard Jamie Foxx blast the NRA and say that the media needs to stop glorifying violence through video games and movies when his own damn movie that opens this weekend is about a former slave turned vigilante in a Tarantino shoot-em up. That is hypocrisy and I don't even know if he realizes what he was saying. He basically said don't go see my violent movie, it has guns and guns are bad but please go see my movie, I need to get paid. It is ridiuclous.

I grew up playing 16 bit shooting games, played cops and robbers, shot bb guns at squirrels (Felt bad when I hit one), and I carried a knife to school every single day of my school career, and not just penknives, I carried a 6" Gerber in a sheath on my belt in the early 90s in highschool in Colorado Springs. Never once did I stab anybody. People didn't mess with me too much either, but when they did, it was fisticuffs, not shanks to the kidneys. We had a lot of wanna-be bangers popping up and kids were getting shot on the highway by retired air force colonels (google it, 1993) and kids getting killed walking down the sidewalk by bangers. I carried everywhere but I never killed anyone. Most of on here played shooting games and cops and robbers and watched Red Dawn and Rambo. We didn't kill anyone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom