NRA Says It Was A Mistake To Call Texas Open Carry Gun Protesters ‘Weird’

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, you hit it on the head. Common sense... It hasn't been used much. That's kinda what I was getting at, if I'm reading your question correctly. There are places where constitutional carry of long guns is appropriate. In my opinion though, just not in the middle of town during everyday peaceful times. A simple sidearm of modest size (something that can be carried on the hip in a holster) is the best compromise. And obviously, firearms and alcohol do not mix, again, a little common sense. I believe there needs to be a way to regulate the carry of weapons just to make sure a person is not a criminal or mentally unstable. Beyond that, the government needs to be hands off.

There already is. It is against the law for convicted criminals to possess a firearm or for anyone to use a firearm to commit a crime. No other qualifications need exist because they will not stop the criminal or insane from violating the law. Social norms do not need laws to determine what they are.

The exercise of rights does come with responsibilities. Discretion while carrying in public under normal circumstances seems to be the responsible thing to do in my opinion. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should and I prefer to let my own judgment and social situations determine that for me rather than legislators.

Blaine007

Marksman
Reaction score
Well, I was kinda pointing out that there isn't a way to verify whose legal to carry in a chance encounter. At least for now, a person needs to be in possession of a permit, showing they have been checked out to some degree. And you're right, folks intent on committing criminal acts could care less about getting caught with a weapon. As for the legislation part, I was referring to providing guidance instead of leaving it to people's imagination like what happened in Texas. I feel like I'm preaching to the choir by replying to you. I think we both want the same thing.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Blaine007 I feel that we are both viewing the actions in Texas in the same light. In my opinion imposing regulations or guidelines, of any kind because some people lack common sense does nothing but restrict the rights of those who know better than to behave like that in the first place.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I was kinda pointing out that there isn't a way to verify whose legal to carry in a chance encounter.
There still isn't. If you walk up to me while I'm carrying and ask to see my permit, and I don't see a badge, you'll be politely ignored. Press the issue, and it'll probably get somewhat less polite.

Also, am I misquoting you when I refer to your statement that "And constitutional carry works just fine," or have you misunderstood what constitutional carry is? How do you "verify whose [sic] legal to carry" when, by definition, no "verification" (i.e. permit) exists?

Blaine007

Marksman
Reaction score
Well, I'm half referring to 2nd amendment and forgot to specify a concealed weapon permit in Oklahoma. And yeah, I'm talking about interacting with a law enforcement officer when it comes to checking credentials. In the broader sense on a national scale (other states) I am implying 2nd amendment since I am not otherwise familiar with other states carry laws to any great degree. What is your take of my explanation? And I know it may be coming down the pike that the CCW permit may not apply in an urban setting. I'm not concerning myself with hunters out in rural setting.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I'm half referring to 2nd amendment and forgot to specify a concealed weapon permit in Oklahoma. And yeah, I'm talking about interacting with a law enforcement officer when it comes to checking credentials. In the broader sense on a national scale (other states) I am implying 2nd amendment since I am not otherwise familiar with other states carry laws to any great degree. What is your take of my explanation? And I know it may be coming down the pike that the CCW permit may not apply in an urban setting. I'm not concerning myself with hunters out in rural setting.
I'm still wondering how you reconcile your desire for a permit system with your statement that "constitutional carry works just fine." Constitutional carry, by definition is without a permit. No background checks, no permission slips, no mother-may-I. Under a constitutional carry scheme, the only thing you need to carry a gun is...a gun (felons and other otherwise-prohibited persons notwithstanding). How, under constitutional carry--which you say "works just fine"--do you have that "verification" of who's a good guy, and "checking [of] credentials?"

Blaine007

Marksman
Reaction score
Dave, I think you're getting too deep for me on this one. Point blank, I like the idea of law abiding citizens being able to protect themselves and others. I don't like criminals having access to firearms. Especially violent ones. Oklahoma has a partial answer to the open carry law for the time being that to qualify for open carry, you must have a CCW permit, which I like. That proves to me that you aren't a criminal. If I have a way of proving that you're a bad guy, then you go to jail if in possession of a firearm. My version of constitutional carry doesn't allow for criminals to carry-period. You'll have to point that one out to me in the constitution where it says I'm wrong about that. I guess you can say omission works both ways on that thought. Otherwise, wouldn't you think a crap load of convicted felons would've sued for violating that right to carry being taken from them? And finally, I know there is no system in place that allows me to know ahead of time that someone has a privilege to carry or not without physically checking. I'm a little frustrated about that. Surely you would like to know if the guy walking down the street in front of your house with a long gun slung over his shoulder was previously convicted of robbery or home invasion type crimes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom