Obama announces restrictions on distribution of military-style equipment to police

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly. well, except for the bayonets. Oklahoma got a boatload of them for some reason.
Check it out here:
http://bridge.caspio.net/dp.asp?AppKey=36701000b255adcfe6ca4b13a8a4
I'm still chuckling all the folks praising the fact he really changed nothing. Tracked vehicles, 50 cals and bayonets? Really?
Did anyone notice the mraps you've been screaming about and all the m16's are still on the list?
From what I read there have been less than 20 tracked vehicles sold in the history of the program. They were all un armored snow cats and we're given to Alaska, Wyoming ect for search/rescue during blizzards ect. The 50cal was only practice ammo, no guns. It was passed out in Atlanta and salt lake for counter sniper training during the olympics.

If the m16's and mraps are so bad why all the praise?

Nothing screams poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly. well, except for the bayonets. Oklahoma got a boatload of them for some reason.
Check it out here:
http://bridge.caspio.net/dp.asp?AppKey=36701000b255adcfe6ca4b13a8a4

I don't see much of a problem with police departments being issued patrol rifles, shotguns, decent sights, and tool kits and the like. Helps them get the gear they do/might need for less impact to the taxpayers and city/county budget. Same with Hielos, boots, and emergency medical supplies. I don't like the armored vehicles though. At least MRAPS. No need for them here stateside. They really aren't as sturdy as people make them out to be anyways.
Looking at these lists, I almost think that what it shows is that these departments saw their opportunity to get their hands on some good gear, and did it. The vast majority of the things on the list aren't even used in day to day police work that I've seen, let alone with the anti drug task force zz top looking fellows that I had the pleasure of working with. It's as if they got a list from the Feds and said "hey guys, who wants some cool stuff to take home?".

Permanent37

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm still chuckling all the folks praising the fact he really changed nothing. Tracked vehicles, 50 cals and bayonets? Really?
Did anyone notice the mraps you've been screaming about and all the m16's are still on the list?
From what I read there have been less than 20 tracked vehicles sold in the history of the program. They were all un armored snow cats and we're given to Alaska, Wyoming ect for search/rescue during blizzards ect. The 50cal was only practice ammo, no guns. It was passed out in Atlanta and salt lake for counter sniper training during the olympics.

If the m16's and mraps are so bad why all the praise?

Exactly, not much has changed. Just glad we are now attempting to make progress. Gotta start somewhere right?

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guess I don't see the snow cat ban as progress. Not one person seems to have ever complained that the banned items shouldn't be used by leos. So we ban them and everyone's happy?
Politics are strange....

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Totally agree. As much as our politicians have tried to make us the world's police, they have totally different missions and totally different needs. Generally speaking, well marked and public focused policing is orders of magnitude more useful in fullfilling the job of preventing crime than undercover traffic enforcement with unmarked cars and guys that look better setup to raid an ISIS compound that to write a soccer mom a speeding ticket. 1995 was better than 2011...

One thing to think about though, is how much our society has changed in those 16 years. I was just a youngster in 95, just moved to Oklahoma, but people have progressively grown into a bunch of looting, selfish, unreasonable hate/fearmongers. Burning and looting and attacking each other because we heard a rumor on Facebook that a guy that we never gave a crap about/have no clue who he is died in police custody? Come on now. While I feel the weaponization and tactics of the police may have grown a bit aggressive, a lot of it is necessary, judging by society now days. This isn't mayberry with ol Andy Griffith anymore.

Permanent37

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No body is talking about snow cats. People should be worried when they see American streets looking like Iraq. Heavy armored vehicles, drones, grenade launchers, etc have no place on our streets to be used against Americans. Like I said, just a step in the right direction.

Latest posts

Top Bottom