Obama announces restrictions on distribution of military-style equipment to police

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't think the brown shirts of Obama will ever happen. Just won't.

Probably not but one never knows. All it would take is a jihadist attack in a crowded mall, a Starbucks (gasp) being smacked by a RPG or a yellow school bus in El Paso or Nogales getting lit by a IED for Obama to sell his brown shirt program of a “civilian defense force” that is to be “just as powerful, just as strong and just as well funded as our military”.

Nobody is asking LEO to return to revo's.

While being a trite waggish and dripping with excessive snark, if we are asking LEOs to detune their capabilities why not take it further? We don’t want criminals to feel under gunned.

The issue … instead of quasi military tactics to employ massive firepower and military tactics in situations they might get more respect from the community.

The crux of this issue and what I would guess puts people at the proverbial crossroads … is it the optic of LEOs being too heavily armed or is it that they should not employ such a show of force for just the average street riot where assorted thugs are chucking cinder blocks at them? Do they need to be detuned or do they need guidelines as to when they can play with their new toys?

We will never get back to the beat cop with a night stick that whupped the kids in the neighborhood while their parents applauded them.

I knew a LEO in Southern California who caught a kid “tagging” and spray painted him.

Its a different dynamic in the LEO world now. The criminals are well armed, the LEO has to continue to stay ahead of them. Its like an arms race between the US and Russia. I'm on a cross roads on this deal.

Gets back to the “optic” of agencies being “militarized” and their application of such. My contention is that agencies need to be prepared for contingencies beyond the criminals that are “well armed” or the thugs rioting because they are not getting enough free crap with our tax dollars. They need to be prepared to be able to counter the jihadists when they decide to escalate their efforts and make their holy war a home game for us. “Si vis pacem, para bellum”.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The USA is not a war zone.

Lets put some common sense back into Law Enforcement.

Feel free to disagree.

Agree 100%

The militarization of city cops, surveillance of citizens, asset forfeiture - it all adds up to a serious distrust of LEOs, as it should.

Cops acting as urban soldiers and state tax collectors will reap what they sow, sooner or later.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wondered how long it'd take for people to get around to blaming Obama for doing something that many have been suggesting for a while.

Wasn't there a thread several months back discussing the police use of these toys in some depth? Specifically how police tactics were changing so as to use the toys, rather than using approaches that had been employed in the past (i.e. Using no-knock entries rather than arresting someone as they left their house)?

Also, you'd think that the police never handled a riot before being given all their new toys. And, for that matter, isn't Obama actually just banning the sale of cheap surplus items that the feds own? I wonder how many PDs will look much more closely at the need for an armored vehicle if it has to pony up at full price.

Remember, if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agree 100%

The militarization of city cops, surveillance of citizens, asset forfeiture - it all adds up to a serious distrust of LEOs, as it should.

Cops acting as urban soldiers and state tax collectors will reap what they sow, sooner or later.

While i do understand that cops need to sometimes have a show of force, i do wonder how the tension and dynamic changes when someone is in regular patrol attire vs riot gear. I'm not talking about when full on looting and rioting is occurring, but when a peaceful protest (yes, they did and do occur) is surrounded by decked out gear. Also, does the mentality of the police change when 'protected' (i.e. Does the need for negotiation and peaceful response change from one posture to a more heavily armed position?).

I'm just envisioning how armed TEA Partiers would have felt if surrounded during a rally at the capitol by police in heavy riot gear vs a mere police presence.

I can tell you from personal experience how it felt to have a police officer show up to our newsroom in full riot gear (i was on the sports desk that night). An officer had been killed during a traffic stop and this cop came to the newsroom demanding a photographer's memory card (the photographer wasn't a witness and had only been taking pictures after the fact). Aside from the illegalities of what the officer was asking, the 'show' of full riot gear gave the event a much greater tension than had a regularly dressed officer made the same request (which still would have been illegal, just FYI)

Brad A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a different perspective on it that I haven't seen anyone post. By mr. Obama doing this and the comments he has made, isn't he blaming the police? I didn't hear him saying anything about the thugs throwing rocks at police etc. All of his comments were about what the police have and that he's taking them away. Is it just me or does it seem that way to anyone else?

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
While i do understand that cops need to sometimes have a show of force, i do wonder how the tension and dynamic changes when someone is in regular patrol attire vs riot gear. I'm not talking about when full on looting and rioting is occurring, but when a peaceful protest (yes, they did and do occur) is surrounded by decked out gear. Also, does the mentality of the police change when 'protected' (i.e. Does the need for negotiation and peaceful response change from one posture to a more heavily armed position?).

I'm just envisioning how armed TEA Partiers would have felt if surrounded during a rally at the capitol by police in heavy riot gear vs a mere police presence.

I can tell you from personal experience how it felt to have a police officer show up to our newsroom in full riot gear (i was on the sports desk that night). An officer had been killed during a traffic stop and this cop came to the newsroom demanding a photographer's memory card (the photographer wasn't a witness and had only been taking pictures after the fact). Aside from the illegalities of what the officer was asking, the 'show' of full riot gear gave the event a much greater tension than had a regularly dressed officer made the same request (which still would have been illegal, just FYI)

Again, it goes back to LEOs knowing "when" to suit up. Do you suit up early in case there is trouble or do you put on your riot gear later and risk that some of your people get hurt because they were not prepared? Is it that they have advanced protective riot gear or when they use it is the issue?

As to a LEO requesting information in protective gear, possibly dressed for the subsequent man hunt and not to question a news room? To the “legalities”, given it was information that could have been obtained by any public source, they can ask a news agency nicely and rely on the news agency to show their civic duty to help catch someone who would kill a police officer. Or given the SCOTUS ruling last year, they could come back with a warrant and show the news agency that they were abject dicks for not providing that information and that they have no understanding of the law they were trying to hide behind to protect a cop killer.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here is a different perspective on it that I haven't seen anyone post. By mr. Obama doing this and the comments he has made, isn't he blaming the police? I didn't hear him saying anything about the thugs throwing rocks at police etc. All of his comments were about what the police have and that he's taking them away. Is it just me or does it seem that way to anyone else?

That is part of it. Blaming the police for showing up to a riot in riot gear is almost funny.

Latest posts

Top Bottom