ODOT Rant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope, I only understand the results. Sure wish someone would explain it to me. Just looks to me like a years worth of north-south crazy. Traffic on Memorial used to move pretty well, not so much now. As a result Sheridan ,Yale and Mingo are now all but impassable as well.
What your mentioning are city routs and odot isn't involved there. Maybe as detours but I highly doubt that. Since 2000, I have scoped over a 1000 projects in all 77 counties and we hardly ever used city streets as detours. I cant comment on this one with any accuracy, as I didn't Scope it.
I retired last December.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or whoever is responsible ?
For the city streets, that'd be the City of Tulsa. ODOT would only be involved in highways, not surface streets. If you look on the map that I linked above, you'll see that they only have five (IIRC) projects going in the Tulsa area, all at highway interchanges.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He’s just talking out his a** because his mouth knows better. I’m sure he couldn’t sequence a road closure construction.
It's for sure a thankless job.
I did the horizontal and vertical design of Wildhorse mountain (us 59, south of salisaw), at the request of Director Ridley. Saved the tax payers $44 million over a consultant design. And sequenced it all under traffic with rock blasting and all. Road was only closed for 20 min. At a time for a blast and cleanup
No one thanked me.
That was my biggest claim to fame with ODOT.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope, I only understand the results. Sure wish someone would explain it to me. Just looks to me like a years worth of north-south crazy. Traffic on Memorial used to move pretty well, not so much now. As a result Sheridan ,Yale and Mingo are now all but impassable as well.
Yale has its own issues, and the construction on 81st isn't doing anyone any favors.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So WHO decided we needed a “diverging Diamond” there? Would love to know how that got approved and by whom.
It's actually a very geometric efficient interchange, designed to move more traffic faster with no left turning lights. Much like a SPUI. Which we built in OKC and Norman at 1-40 and morgan road as well as I-35 and Main, and I-35 and I believe, Lindsey.
Much more efficient than a diamond interchange with 2 stoplights close.
I did geometric design for 20+ years and there aren't many alive still that get it more than me.
Not tooting my own horn but that's truth and I truly believe you'll be pleased with the outcome.
But it's like surgery, some.pain and long recovery till its done.
Be patient and try to remain positive durring.
It will be nice.