Oh Norman..........Mask Alert.......The Sky is Falling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StitchJones

Ayatollah of Rock-and-Roll-a
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02058-1

At .125 micron it's not going to reliability stay on contact surfaces.

The thing about science is that it is rarely settled. Meaning new information evolves with new research. That why there has been little consistency thus far in regards to prevention. The constant and my issue is with the seemly political policies implemented.

StitchJones

Ayatollah of Rock-and-Roll-a
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The manner in which you assume it spreads is incorrect via the current science.
See that link I posted? Seems experts may disagree with you.

I'm not assuming anything. The virus is .125 micron. As trivial as that sounds it has a large factor in how it spreads and the ppe used for mitigation.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02058-1

At .125 micron it's not going to reliability stay on contact surfaces.

The thing about science is that it is rarely settled. Meaning new information evolves with new research. That why there has been little consistency thus far in regards to prevention. The constant and my issue is with the seemly political policies implemented.
Just tell us more.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about that post do you disagree with exactly?

The Nature article you shared makes the point that aerosols are appear to be a major way that the virus is spread. The size of aerosol droplets, according to the article, is around 4 to 5 micrometers (microns) or somewhat less, if I am reading it correctly. This is substantially larger than the 0.125 micron size of the virus. The article I cited discusses three ways in which masks capture particles and droplets smaller than the fabric pore size. Do not be misled into thinking that masks are ineffective if the pore size is larger that the droplet to particle size.

If masks did not work, medical professionals would not be using them.

The article I cited lists these conclusions:
Medical mask (surgical masks)
Reduces the transfer of respiratory droplets to others
Blocks blood or other potentially infectious materials from reaching the wearer’s skin, mouth, or mucous membranes
Keeps droplets and larger particles from being inhaled. Requires filtration of all air reaching the mouth/nose for 5 µm particles and larger

Woven cotton
(or other fabric masks) and improvised protection
Reduces the transfer of respiratory droplets to others

Masks are not chainlink fences through which a water hose can be sprayed. Masks are a cost-effective means of reducing the transmission of COVID.

Your points about improperly handled masks being a means of spreading the virus have limited merit but I believe they are taken from guidance for medical personnel working in sickroom environments. This advice cannot be directly applied to members of the public who are trying to reduce spread in an epidemic, not moving in and out of "hot zones" in a hospital or sickroom. Just wash your hands or use hand sterilizer after taking off your mask....and do not wear your mask inside out by accident.

Latest posts

Top Bottom