OHP Troopers at College Football Games

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many of you on the board already know my dad was a lifetime LEO before he passed away. He worked numerous part time jobs at concerts, sporting events etc. The only reason he did it, was for the money. I'm not saying this is the case for everyone, but he would have much rather been in the stands or crowd enjoying it with everyone else. In fact, he worked a lot of these jobs to have the extra money so that I could go enjoy them myself.

As far as the troopers working the high profile games out of state; I've often wondered the same thing myself. I've always hoped the guys doing it did enjoy it. If it does cost the taxpayers a few extra bucks, who cares. These guys and girls put their lives on the line for us everyday and if we send one or two out of state on an assignment they may enjoy I think that's great. JMO

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OKCShooter, for what it's worth, I know several people that have in the past provided executive security services for very high profile folks. From movie stars, diplomats to the prez of a certain country to our south. What BB is saying is very true for those that take this job seriously. When these guys are on the job, lets just say that they are some "very intense" individuals and that those that are really good at it, don't give off that appearance. The stress level is high and they earn every penny they make.

To the O/P. OHP has been providing security for these coaches for as long as I can remember. How they are paid and whose expense account it comes from is probably pretty cut and dried or some reporter would have raised a stink over it before now. It's really not a big deal, my dad helped fly some of them around when he was in the National Guard. Granted it was many years ago but if someone was going to scream about the cost I'd think that would do it. Helicopters and fixed wing aircraft cost just a bit more than a Trooper. Or ten....

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I understand, and I might remind everyone, I have limited knowledge on this, but I think there is at least one trooper at every game, both home and away for both OSU and OU.

So is there an actual assignment where there are several troopers doing this job, rotating or something, or is there just one assigned to OU and one assigned to OSU?

I know it is an assignment during the football season and then they go back to their "regular" assignment in the off season. I am not sure if there is a dedicated trooper or if it rotates. I know at the Mansion it is a rotating but that is because they have to provide security 24/7, at home and away. However, there is a dedicated group in that rotation ... Troop ES ... It's not a troopwide rotation.

Many of you on the board already know my dad was a lifetime LEO before he passed away. He worked numerous part time jobs at concerts, sporting events etc. The only reason he did it, was for the money. I'm not saying this is the case for everyone, but he would have much rather been in the stands or crowd enjoying it with everyone else. In fact, he worked a lot of these jobs to have the extra money so that I could go enjoy them myself.

As far as the troopers working the high profile games out of state; I've often wondered the same thing myself. I've always hoped the guys doing it did enjoy it. If it does cost the taxpayers a few extra bucks, who cares. These guys and girls put their lives on the line for us everyday and if we send one or two out of state on an assignment they may enjoy I think that's great. JMO

GC's dad was OKCPD. When he retired from OKC he went to work for Capitol Patrol. From what GC has told me it was for the same reasons your dad did it. So his family could enjoy a lifestyle better than his salary from Oklahoma City would provide.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OKCShooter, for what it's worth, I know several people that have in the past provided executive security services for very high profile folks. From movie stars, diplomats to the prez of a certain country to our south. What BB is saying is very true for those that take this job seriously. When these guys are on the job, lets just say that they are some "very intense" individuals and that those that are really good at it, don't give off that appearance. The stress level is high and they earn every penny they make.

To the O/P. OHP has been providing security for these coaches for as long as I can remember. How they are paid and whose expense account it comes from is probably pretty cut and dried or some reporter would have raised a stink over it before now. It's really not a big deal, my dad helped fly some of them around when he was in the National Guard. Granted it was many years ago but if someone was going to scream about the cost I'd think that would do it. Helicopters and fixed wing aircraft cost just a bit more than a Trooper. Or ten....

There is a lot of truth in that statement. GC is NOT the same man at work that he is at home. I have finally learned to just roll with it but at first I thought he was a Jekyll/Hyde sort of fella ... :oops3: :bolt: (I also try really really hard not to go anywhere NEAR anything that has to do with his job ... :sorry4:)

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll make sure to relay all of your opinions to the Trooper for Gundy and let him know that traveling to games, staying in neat places, running through tunnels and fraternizing with college football teams while having to endure standing on the sidelines in stadiums with thousands of fans is the same as every other 'security' detail and that he's wrong for enjoying it and that his fun isn't real. I, too, would think executive detail for the Governor would suck! That detail is NOT remotely close to the same.

Seriously, let's quit beating a dead horse... I was simply stating facts (from the actual person doing it) versus opinions.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll make sure to relay all of your opinions to the Trooper for Gundy and let him know that traveling to games, staying in neat places, running through tunnels and fraternizing with college football teams while having to endure standing on the sidelines in stadiums with thousands of fans is the same as every other 'security' detail and that he's wrong for enjoying it and that his fun isn't real. I, too, would think executive detail for the Governor would suck! That detail is NOT remotely close to the same.

Seriously, let's quit beating a dead horse... I was simply stating facts (from the actual person doing it) versus opinions.

Good grief ... I never said he was wrong for enjoying what he does. And I am pretty sure he could give a rat's ass what I think.

My point was (and still remains) security details are NOT handed out because some Trooper sucked somebody's dick and they are not a little vacation taken on the taxpayer's dime. It is a J.O.B. ... if he ENJOYS his J.O.B. then GOOD FOR HIM.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good grief ... I never said he was wrong for enjoying what he does. And I am pretty sure he could give a rat's ass what I think.

My point was (and still remains) security details are NOT handed out because some Trooper sucked somebody's dick and they are not a little vacation taken on the taxpayer's dime. It is a J.O.B. ... if he ENJOYS his J.O.B. then GOOD FOR HIM.

Holy Cow! I'm sorry you're so upset. I didn't know you would get so defensive with someone answering the question with facts based upon knowing the guy doing the detail.

No need to post anything else directed towards me, I won't make anymore posts in this thread.

Again, very sorry to upset you.

redneck1861

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grandpa does not travel with the team, nor would he if he was offered. Most of the time when he is working the games, he really likes itm but that is when he gets to stand at the sidelines. They do rotate the posts, and when he has to roam around the stadium around the concession stands he does not like it to much, but he likes the money he is paid, he gets paid through the County. I am not sure if the school pays the County though

Latest posts

Top Bottom