OHP UNION thinks only LEO's should be allowed to carry weapons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not the 2-legged critters I'm worried about

There are over 4.5 MILLION dog bites a year in the US. 800,000 are serious enough to need medical attention. 368,000 end up in the Emergency Room.

Compare that to 850,000+ aggravated assaults, ~400K robberies per year, ~17K murders per year, ~94K rapes...

If I want to open carry in my yard and curtilage, I should be able to.

SBD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
§21-1272.

UNLAWFUL CARRY

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his or her
person, or in a purse or other container belonging to the person, any
pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle whether loaded or unloaded or any
dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, spring-type knife,
sword cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand
pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of
the knife, blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles,
or any other offensive weapon, whether such weapon be concealed or
unconcealed, except this section shall not prohibit:

1. The proper use of guns and knives for hunting, fishing, educational
or recreational purposes;

2. The carrying or use of weapons in a manner otherwise permitted by
statute or authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Section 1290.1
et seq. of this title; or

3. The carrying, possession and use of any weapon by a peace officer
in the performance of official duties and in compliance with the rules
of the employing agency. Any person convicted of violating the
foregoing provision shall be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable as
provided in Section 1276 of this title.

So when I open carry on my property it is for recreational use..... correct????

Ok I read it and a lot of the surrounding text for context (a waste of time) and it appears to me that open carry is not legal for anyone except LEOs in the execution of their duties except where prohibited by the employing department...pause for breath. Also it is legal for reenactments and entertainment and for hunting or a legitimately recognized (let the reader use discernment) firearms sporting even or recreation. The last two are very vague and could be used inappropriately by someone on either side of the fence. So if I read this correctly open carry is "legal" under a very limited set of circumstances but is open to interpretation by the authorities. Which makes it essentially illegal. So carrying open when mending a fence, mowing the lawn, tending the garden, watching the kids play..etc is not legal. Yes or no?

SBD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ohhhh. The more I read the thing over the more I understand that the statute is outdated. The part that defines all of those weapons as offensive is odd too. What if the intent of the weapon is purely defensive. Now there are semantics involved! WHEN WILL IT END! Arrrrggggh! I noticed in other sections that you can be fined for public cursing, spitting in public and taking the Lord's name in vein. By the letter of the law most people should be heavily fined or locked up.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. The proper use of guns and knives for hunting, fishing, educational or recreational purposes;

So if one chose to open carry in order to educate the general public re: we're the good guys and not the raving lunatics you perceive us to be that would be within the law?

Seems reasonable to me and after all isn't that what contemporary gun laws are all about? Reasonableness?

Yeah that's the ticket. Educate reasonably.

pktrkt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong but I have searched and can't find any results of someone having their weapon taken from them and shot during open carry. It seems like there has been more problems with law enforcement having problems with it. I could be wrong, and sometimes am, but is there evidence of someone having their weapon taken away from them while open carrying? I'm not talking about working at a stop and rob and someone coming in but just ordinary Joe open carrying and some thug came along and took it away. Hope this isn't posted in the wrong place.
pktrkt

SBD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong but I have searched and can't find any results of someone having their weapon taken from them and shot during open carry. It seems like there has been more problems with law enforcement having problems with it. I could be wrong, and sometimes am, but is there evidence of someone having their weapon taken away from them while open carrying? I'm not talking about working at a stop and rob and someone coming in but just ordinary Joe open carrying and some thug came along and took it away. Hope this isn't posted in the wrong place.
pktrkt

I think that a previous posters comments in regard to that was biased. There are those who will attack a LEO just because they are a LEO - lot of anger directed toward authority...wonder why. Anyway I don't think the same applies to Joe Schmoe (sp?) as far as open carry. LEOs put themselves in harms way, that is their job, so anecdotal evidence as to an exposed weapon not being a deterrent for an attack on a cop is not a valid measure. That's how I choose to see it anyway.

Was wondering if anyone would catch the "vein" thing. I was distracted when posting and hit post before I proof read it...stupid but whatever. The `mainlining God` reference was a plus and I deserved it.

pktrkt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahhh! Ok. Sorry I missed that post. I'm still wondering if there is any evidence 'open carry' has caused average Joe to have their weapon taken away by 'Burt Criminal'..
Thanks pktrkt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom