Oilfield Layoffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The fact that person, repeat that person, got a 7 million dollar bonus to sell the company when that money could have been used to keep valued employees on the dime until the bubble came back up is disgusting to me.
I don't work there anymore. This is an observation.

The sense of entitlement in your generation is sad.

I'm not understanding what your talking about.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was a play on what people of your generation say about mine, and sarcasm...mostly...

What I said was that it pissed me off that the CEO took a 7 mil bonus to sign the papers that sold the company.

Why in the hell would somebody get a bonus to sell a company unless they were given a bonus, and when that company takes over they start laying off senior employees to improve the bottom line. Tboon pickens, the god of OSU ruined tens of thousand of lives by wasting their retirements with this same strategy.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I said was that it pissed me off that the CEO took a 7 mil bonus to sign the papers that sold the company.

Why in the hell would somebody get a bonus to sell a company unless they were given a bonus, and when that company takes over they start laying off senior employees to improve the bottom line. Tboon pickens, the god of OSU ruined tens of thousand of lives by wasting their retirements with this same strategy.

It's solid business. Less is more. Senior positions obtain the highest pay in most everyday scenarios. You can lay that person off, hire someone with less experience, but a similar skillset to fill the same position for less money. Just as you feel about those at the top of the ladder, salaries do eventually eclipse performance. (most notably in union organizations... we all know someone 'just putting in their time') Why keep on a higher salary when you can get that work done cheaper, and more often with greater effeciency?

Again, it's not the companies job to keep workers on the payroll... it's the workers job to make the company money.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...Why keep on a higher salary when you can get that work done cheaper, and more often with greater effeciency?

Again, it's not the companies job to keep workers on the payroll... it's the workers job to make the company money.

Many times when these decisions are made to let longer term employees go, the company loses much of its institutional knowledge.
I worked for one company for 17 years, I had built, or helped build much of the software the company depended on for its daily cash flow. Some new owners came in and bought/merged the companies. They let me go because they could and did hire 4 young, inexpensive, replacements. Many people that worked there saw this happen to several people and started looking for new jobs.

About 5 weeks after being let go, I received a call from a friend that still worked there, asking if I could tell him how a particular process worked. It seems that no one knew how to get the ACH system to communicate with the data warehouse, after they changed configuration on one of the machines.
I thought about charging them 400 or 500 dollars an hour, with an 8 hour minimum, to come fix it for them. Instead, I explained to my friend what needed to be done to get the systems communicating again.
Companies sometimes look at the bottom line too closely and don't realize that they may save a little money right now, but cause larger problems later, by losing institutional knowledge as well as losing good employees when they(employees) see how loyal people like themselves are treated.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many times when these decisions are made to let longer term employees go, the company loses much of its institutional knowledge.

Fresh people tend to innovate more instead of getting stuck in "this is the way we do it". It can also cost less to train someone up to par than it does to retain someone who has been around a long time. Whether you like it or not, for most people the longer they are in a job the more their performance per dollar deteriorates.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a term called management intrenchment. It basically describes management will do things for self interest rather than for the best interest of the company. You look for these indicators when valuing a company for purchase or even from an investor standpoint.

Fresh people tend to innovate more instead of getting stuck in "this is the way we do it". It can also cost less to train someone up to par than it does to retain someone who has been around a long time. Whether you like it or not, for most people the longer they are in a job the more their performance per dollar deteriorates.

Latest posts

Top Bottom