Ok, why can't I hit anything???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found this, which helps me to visualize better what the bullet is doing with the different zeroes. Maybe it will help others understand too.

Last edited by a moderator:

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not trying to make to even more complicated, but...
Let's say I has a 3x scope with a Bullet Drop Compensator that expects a 100 yd zero. I'm at a 25 yard range. If I read the chart right, I should put my 100 yd dot about 1.5 inches below the center of the target and have the bullet pass through the center of the target.
Or do I need further enlightenment?

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not trying to make to even more complicated, but...
Let's say I has a 3x scope with a Bullet Drop Compensator that expects a 100 yd zero. I'm at a 25 yard range. If I read the chart right, I should put my 100 yd dot about 1.5 inches below the center of the target and have the bullet pass through the center of the target.
Or do I need further enlightenment?

its the other way around. as long as your offset is 1.5 inches, the bullet should strike about 1.5 inches below your dot out to around 25 yards, and about 1 inch below your dot at 50. Then it will ride the line of your dot at 100 for a few yards and begin to drop.

Last edited:

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're dead on at 25 and off the paper at 80 then when you installed the barrel it may have been over torqued. You may not be off paper low/high. You may be off side to side. If so then over torque on the barrel is a good candidate for the cause of your problem.

I had the same problem you're experiencing with a Bushmaster XM15E2S I bought 8 or 9 years ago except BM over torqued the barrel at the factory.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a new thought... overtorque... I am not sure how to achieve proper torque. I don't recall ever seeing a barrel torque wrench. :/

Yet another thing to research in learning how to properly assemble these ARs...

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great catch ASP785!!!
The scope is indeed mounted 90 degrees off! The illumination switch should be on the top of the scope. The left side off The scope which coincides with the left side of the rifle should be flat, no turrets in this area. You need to rotate your scope 90 degrees to the RIGHT! The turret that is on the left side of hour rifle should be on top!.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some you have to "overtorque" to get the nut to line up. I go til it's snug by hand, then to to the next hole. I've built a LOT of sub-MOA AR's. Never had one shoot poorly because of torque. If its on, truly on, at 25 yards, then it's not going to be off left of right at 100. You might be high or low depending on your bore axis relative to your sights but the bullet can't suddenly shift left or right after 25 yards because of barrel nut torque.

Latest posts

Top Bottom