Ok, why can't I hit anything???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some you have to "overtorque" to get the nut to line up. I go til it's snug by hand, then to to the next hole. I've built a LOT of sub-MOA AR's. Never had one shoot poorly because of torque. If its on, truly on, at 25 yards, then it's not going to be off left of right at 100. You might be high or low depending on your bore axis relative to your sights but the bullet can't suddenly shift left or right after 25 yards because of barrel nut torque.

Here's just one example of how over torqueing an AR barrel can effect bullet impact point.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_66/168890_Bushmaster_overtorqued_barrel_question.html

Mine had the issue. Called Bushmaster. They knew immediately what the problem was since they built a bunch of AR's with the over torqued barrel issue. Sent it in. They fixed it. Mine was so bad that the rear sight was all the way to the right just to get on paper at a 100 yards. Couldn't hit squat much past that.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
There is a lot of stuff in this thread so my apologies if this has been said. The photo sure looks like the elevation turret is facing me 90 degrees off.

Great catch ASP785!!!
The scope is indeed mounted 90 degrees off! The illumination switch should be on the top of the scope. The left side off The scope which coincides with the left side of the rifle should be flat, no turrets in this area. You need to rotate your scope 90 degrees to the RIGHT! The turret that is on the left side of hour rifle should be on top!.

If it's mounted exactly 90* off, and zeroed at any given distance, wouldn't the scope function normally other than the up/down and left/right adjustments being switched?

Here's just one example of how over torqueing an AR barrel can effect bullet impact point.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_66/168890_Bushmaster_overtorqued_barrel_question.html

Mine had the issue. Called Bushmaster. They knew immediately what the problem was since they built a bunch of AR's with the over torqued barrel issue. Sent it in. They fixed it. Mine was so bad that the rear sight was all the way to the right just to get on paper at a 100 yards. Couldn't hit squat much past that.

Was it the barrel extension or the barrel nut that was over torqued?

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was it the barrel extension or the barrel nut that was over torqued?

Don't know really. All I know is that BM told me based on the symptoms I related when I called them they the cause was an over torqued barrel and to send it in. They made a manufacturing mistake on a bunch of 'em in the early 2000's (2003 to 2004 IIRC). If I remember right there is a retaining pin that goes in the barrel or nut and it was completely stripped off (I think. But that was 9 or so years ago and my memory isn't what it used to be).

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Overtorque so much that it bends the receiver and the barrel is setting sideways is one thing. Still though, if the sights/scope can be set such that the windage is perfectly aligned at 25 yards, then it will be perfectly aligned at 50 and 100 and 200, etc. If it's lined up, it's lined up. An overtorqued barrel doesn't make the bullet curve.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Always like to use a huge ass target to zero with that way things that normally would fly off into neverland show up as holes in unexpected places.

I like to use an old wood pallet. You can pick them up off the roads if you watch for them. An Arrow t50 stapler will attach a big piece of cardboard or even cover the pallet with newpapers. Put a target in the center and start shooting. You can even patch holes with some masking tape and not replace the paper or the target. A 44' by 48" pallet will catch a lot of stray bullets. A steel fence post stuck in the ground will hold the pallet up.

When the pallet gets shot up too much throw it away and use another one. I just got my next one on the South Canadian River south of town. It is still in the back of my Ranger.

Last edited:

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like to use an old wood pallet. You can pick them up off the roads if you watch for them. An Arrow t50 stapler will attach a big piece of cardboard or even cover the pallet with newpapers. Put a target in the center and start shooting. You can even patch holes with some masking tape and not replace the paper or the target. A 44' by 48" pallet will catch a lot of stray bullets. A steel fence post stuck in the ground will hold the pallet up.

When the pallet gets shot up too much throw it away and use another one. .

This +1 works really well. Also works for helping to figure drop at a given distance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom