Only one Semi-auto

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The venerable 1911 of course

The 1911. Looks good, easy to carry, and has killed US enemies for years. What more could you ask for.

Glocks are silly, 1911s are boss. Deal with it.

WOOHOO!!!!!!!

Being the old school feller and revolver lover that I am, I seriously doubt if I ever own another bottom feeder. :disappoin

However...

If I wind up with an extra thousand bucks in my hand, I MIGHT be the proud owner of one of these....

[Broken External Image]

...someday. :rolleyes2

djsmithinvesting

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glock 17

Reliable
Durable
Inexpensive
Easy To Use
Cheap(er) Ammo
Inexpensive Parts
Many Aftermarket Upgrades And Accessories
One Basic Tool To Do A Complete Armorer Level Disassembly

What's not to like with those attributes?

Couldnt have said it better myself. I will however add that if you were limited to one, you would probably want one with the highest chance of finding ammo, another plus for the 9mm. If nato uses it ammo is always plentiful. Its not my favorite round, but .40s&w might get hard to find at some point, at least harder than 9mm. And Ive never seen a glock EVER (ive owned at least 50 of em) that didnt shoot every time

djsmithinvesting

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the 1911 guys, Im not trying to be argumentative but heres why not a 1911.

There are hundreds of manufacturers of that gun from Norinco to Wilson Combat, none of them have drop in interchangeable parts. 1911s are very very very parts finicky (due to the many many variations and customizations), you have to fit every single part, and some parts cant work with some 1911s, even if they are the same size. An example would be the sear/trigger return spring. If the spring doesnt have the correct (either way, too much or not enough) tension, then your gun doesnt work. You cant just buy that spring and put it in, in most cases.

But a glock 17 part is a glock 17 part is a glock 17 part, doesnt matter who makes it. They are all compatible and completely plug and play. And if you can put an alternator in your car you can fix a glock

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In spite of the above posting, I have to stay with the 1911, chambered in either .45 or 10 m/m. Either would make for a very comfortable companion.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the 1911 guys, Im not trying to be argumentative but heres why not a 1911.

There are hundreds of manufacturers of that gun from Norinco to Wilson Combat, none of them have drop in interchangeable parts. 1911s are very very very parts finicky (due to the many many variations and customizations), you have to fit every single part, and some parts cant work with some 1911s, even if they are the same size. An example would be the sear/trigger return spring. If the spring doesnt have the correct (either way, too much or not enough) tension, then your gun doesnt work. You cant just buy that spring and put it in, in most cases.

But a glock 17 part is a glock 17 part is a glock 17 part, doesnt matter who makes it. They are all compatible and completely plug and play. And if you can put an alternator in your car you can fix a glock

Geez, it's a wonder how all those 1911s made it through wars and decades of military service.

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"But a glock 17 part is a glock 17 part is a glock 17 part, doesnt matter who makes it. They are all compatible and completely plug and play."

This statement is not true...