Only victims of gun violence can have valid opinions on gun laws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't now if I'm in the minority, but I believe that only victims of gun violence can have valid opinions about gun laws. If someone has lost a close family member to gun violence or used a gun to defend themselves, I'll never criticize their opinion becuase their viewpoint comes from an experience that is different from many people in the United States. When Gabrielle Giffords spoke this weekend and said "we must do something", I wanted to tell her, "we must do something right, not just something". But I refrained the thought since her experience if different from my own.

To be consistent, I feel the same about the death penalty. If you have not had a family member murdered, then your opinion about the death penalty does not mean $%^& to me. I'll respect your opinion if it comes from a shared experience.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think anyone who will be affected by any law can have a valid opinion on it. If they want to ban all my means of protection and make me a criminal, my opposition is invalid because I've never been shot? I'm sorry, that's just ridiculous.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only those who have been affected by gun violence have valid opinions about those who have been affected by gun violence (and their opinions about gun laws).

smax

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't now if I'm in the minority, but I believe that only victims of gun violence can have valid opinions about gun laws. If someone has lost a close family member to gun violence or used a gun to defend themselves, I'll never criticize their opinion becuase their viewpoint comes from an experience that is different from many people in the United States. When Gabrielle Giffords spoke this weekend and said "we must do something", I wanted to tell her, "we must do something right, not just something". But I refrained the thought since her experience if different from my own.

To be consistent, I feel the same about the death penalty. If you have not had a family member murdered, then your opinion about the death penalty does not mean $%^& to me. I'll respect your opinion if it comes from a shared experience.

By your thinking only those who have had a life threatening illness should have an opinion of the healthcare system? Only those who have been in a traffic accident should have an opinion about traffic laws? Get real man.

CoachR64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a victim of a violent criminal that used a gun (guns are inanimate and can not be violent) then I guess my opinion counts: being a victim does not make me special or give me any more rights to speak freely than any other person. That is the same as saying only soldiers have freedom because they fought for it. I have no problem and admire those who step up and share their story to others. I have a huge problem with those who use their victim status to strip away the rights and make victims of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom