Only victims of gun violence can have valid opinions on gun laws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As hard as it is to get some .22LR right now, I think we're all victims of gun violence.

WAHHH MEDIA GIVE ME BRICKS OF PLINKING AMMO WAHHHHHH

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't now if I'm in the minority, but I believe that only victims of gun violence can have valid opinions about gun laws. If someone has lost a close family member to gun violence or used a gun to defend themselves, I'll never criticize their opinion becuase their viewpoint comes from an experience that is different from many people in the United States. When Gabrielle Giffords spoke this weekend and said "we must do something", I wanted to tell her, "we must do something right, not just something". But I refrained the thought since her experience if different from my own.

To be consistent, I feel the same about the death penalty. If you have not had a family member murdered, then your opinion about the death penalty does not mean $%^& to me. I'll respect your opinion if it comes from a shared experience.

Dumbest. Statement. Ever.

Just becuse you fall into a category (victim) does not preclude you from being an idiot. Just because you knew someone who died by gunfire, does not give you sole legitimacy to wax eloquent on MY rights! :mad:

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't now if I'm in the minority, but I believe that only victims of gun violence can have valid opinions about gun laws. If someone has lost a close family member to gun violence or used a gun to defend themselves, I'll never criticize their opinion becuase their viewpoint comes from an experience that is different from many people in the United States. When Gabrielle Giffords spoke this weekend and said "we must do something", I wanted to tell her, "we must do something right, not just something". But I refrained the thought since her experience if different from my own.

To be consistent, I feel the same about the death penalty. If you have not had a family member murdered, then your opinion about the death penalty does not mean $%^& to me. I'll respect your opinion if it comes from a shared experience.

This statement is just plain silly. I'm sorry, but it is. You don't have to experience something personally in order to make valid judgments about it

ewcraig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yes, you're probably in the minority here. I don't see why I should have less OR more say-so than those mentioned in your statement. That kind of thinking doesn't allow for a spirited debate which usually leads to compromise/solutions to problems

BTW, out of curiosity, what is your age/sex? I'm wondering if some of this thinking is a generational thing? No offense intended

gun001guns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a victim of a violent criminal that used a gun (guns are inanimate and can not be violent) then I guess my opinion counts: being a victim does not make me special or give me any more rights to speak freely than any other person. That is the same as saying only soldiers have freedom because they fought for it. I have no problem and admire those who step up and share their story to others. I have a huge problem with those who use their victim status to strip away the rights and make victims of others.
+1++++

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
images

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say more often than not, victims of gun violence have a skewed view of the issue that prevents them from forming an informed and intelligent opinion about the gun rights issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom