Only victims of gun violence can have valid opinions on gun laws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't now if I'm in the minority, but I believe that only victims of gun violence can have valid opinions about gun laws. If someone has lost a close family member to gun violence or used a gun to defend themselves, I'll never criticize their opinion becuase their viewpoint comes from an experience that is different from many people in the United States. When Gabrielle Giffords spoke this weekend and said "we must do something", I wanted to tell her, "we must do something right, not just something". But I refrained the thought since her experience if different from my own.

To be consistent, I feel the same about the death penalty. If you have not had a family member murdered, then your opinion about the death penalty does not mean $%^& to me. I'll respect your opinion if it comes from a shared experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only those who have lost a family member to a drunk driver can have opinions on DUI laws.

Only people who have had a child can have an opinion on abortion.

OP, I am real sorry as I don't like name calling...but I truly believe you are an idiot.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Only those who have lost a family member to a drunk driver can have opinions on DUI laws.

OP, I am real sorry as I don't like name calling...but I truly believe you are an idiot.

Can't argue with that logic!

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Enough! One opinion, no matter how misguided, makes someone an idiot. While I completely disagree with his statement, he has a right to voice his opinion. A lot of point against his opinion have been made, and he can choose to take that into account and change his opinion if he wishes.

He doesn't need to be attacked and called an idiot because he posted a thought that everyone knows is ridiculous. Simmer down and watch the friendly fire.

Belthos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't now if I'm in the minority, but I believe that only victims of gun violence can have valid opinions about gun laws. If someone has lost a close family member to gun violence or used a gun to defend themselves, I'll never criticize their opinion becuase their viewpoint comes from an experience that is different from many people in the United States. When Gabrielle Giffords spoke this weekend and said "we must do something", I wanted to tell her, "we must do something right, not just something". But I refrained the thought since her experience if different from my own.

To be consistent, I feel the same about the death penalty. If you have not had a family member murdered, then your opinion about the death penalty does not mean $%^& to me. I'll respect your opinion if it comes from a shared experience.

I have been held at gun point and shot at on other occasions.
I can assure you my views on gun laws are no more or less valid after having lived through those occasions than they were before them.
Your post shows a remarkably immature point of view, in any other forum I'd assume your post is nothing but a troll.

The instant you suggest I have no right to my point of view, is the instant that I don't value yours much either.

If any law put forth affects me, my family, my dog or my friends in any way shape or form then I have every right to speak for or against it at my sole discretion.

Belthos

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The responses to my post have been very interesting, even the ones that called me an idiot or immature. I truly expected a more civil discussion from the OSA crowd.

The point of my post is that everyone forms their opinions based on their life experiences. So when you are debating someone about a very emotionally charged issue, you will be better served as a debater if you try to understand what caused someone to develop their particular point of view. If you can step them through how they formed their opinion, perhaps you can correct an error or misconception about something they heard or experienced.

I'm not a troll. I'm only interested in getting people to stop and think as they discuss an issue. Anyone can argue a topic, but true progress is made when people with different opinions have a polite and civil debate.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't call you an idiot, but I will say that starting a thread for the sole purpose of getting a reaction to what you said smells a little like troll-like behavior.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would say more often than not, victims of gun violence have a skewed view of the issue that prevents them from forming an informed and intelligent opinion about the gun rights issue.

Gun violence involving military gun violence? Leo gun violence, TV gun violence? Doesn't TV and video violence contribute to mass killings?

COME ON!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom