Open carry being considered again in OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to Title 21 of Oklahoma Law, one may carry openly or concealed on private property without a license with the consent of the property owner. The SDA does not take away or restrict the rights of an owner to control the carrying of firearms on their property. This is why locations such as H&H and Heartland can permit their employees to openly carry at their location. And if you don't agree with that, Title 21 also grants the right to openly carry any firearm while hunting, so I can just claim that I was hunting while walking across my ranch from my house to the mailbox.

So I've searched and searched trying to confirm this and can't seem to pull the above idea from anything I've found. Can someone provide a link and an exact quote how this has been derived?

Not that I plan just open carry in my yard but would sure like to see the particulars on this.

Thanks,

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I've searched and searched trying to confirm this and can't seem to pull the above idea from anything I've found. Can someone provide a link and an exact quote how this has been derived?

Nobody can provide it because it doesn't exist. Title 21 prohibits it...there are exemptions, like carrying under a permit and "hunting, fishing, educational or recreational purposes"

Do a quick Google on Oklahoma Title 21 Section 1272 and read it right from the horse's mouth.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nobody can provide it because it doesn't exist. Title 21 prohibits it...there are exemptions, like carrying under a permit and "hunting, fishing, educational or recreational purposes"

Do a quick Google on Oklahoma Title 21 Section 1272 and read it right from the horse's mouth.

There is a section of the SDA in the book that OSBI hands out that states that the SDA does not restrict the rights of private property owners.

If another section of OK law (not title 21) concerning open carry addresses open carry on private property wouldn't that cover the question?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a section of the SDA in the book that OSBI hands out that states that the SDA does not restrict the rights of private property owners.

If another section of OK law (not title 21) concerning open carry addresses open carry on private property wouldn't that cover the question?

The SDA is embodied in Title 21, 1290 sections 1 through 26, therefore 1272 is not part of the SDA, and therefore the SDA's comment regarding the SDA not restricting the rights of private property owners does not apply to 1272.

1272 stands on it's own outside of the SDA...the only thing the SDA (1290 sections 1-26) has to do with 1272 is for the purposes of providing an exemption to 1272 in regards to concealed carry...

Hope that made sense.

Grant

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply SMS. After much research before I posted I couldn't find anythig to support it and see that still no one has corrected your statement below.

Latest posts

Top Bottom