Open Carry Thoughts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerkyBird

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know everyone is excited to now be able to OC in OK, but I urge caution and reflection. Coming from a state (GA) that allows OC, I have seen many debates on the pros and cons. A couple of things to think about...

1. OCing can highlight you to the criminals. This can be good or bad. Good if they aren't all that hardened and decide it's better to try later when someone who is obviously packing isn't around. Bad if they decide to eliminate you as a threat first.

2. Public perception. In this day of the antis, we must remember that when we carry, we represent the ENTIRE firearm community. If you are out and about acting like an a$$, well it's no big deal if you are CCing. If you are OCing, however, your behavior could be viewed as representative of all of us "gun nuts." Obviously it isn't representative, but perception is reality. Especially to the antis.

3. Some businesses may be uncomfortable with you OCing in their store, restaurant, etc. If a manager asks you to leave, please be polite and just leave. Getting into an argument with a misinformed middle-management type is not going to help. Take your argument to regional or corporate offices after you've cooled down or just don't do business with them anymore.

4. Carry in whichever manner you feel is most appropriate for you and respect others choice to do the same. I have seen other forums have heated discussions on why OCers are dumb and CCers are cowards, etc. It doesn't matter. The important thing is that we are all exercising our 2A rights how we see fit.

F

fredkrueger

These are very good points that you have made. I would never act like an a$$ to someone though. Unless they deserve it. But I will be very cautious when OC'ing. I probably won't even do it that much. I am glad that I can wear one of my holsters that I can't now because of printing. Well actually its not really printing it just makes my shirt stick out a little bit. But it is something to really think about for the bad guys to want to take me out first because I have a weapon. I never thought of it that way. Thanks for bringing it up. But hopefully that doesn't ever happen to me or anyone else.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very good points. I'm glad OC passed in Oklahoma, but I can't think of a situation where I would exercise that right - and I CC on a daily basis. I just can't think of a good reason to openly advertise what type of gun I have and exactly where I carry it.

IndVet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very good points. I'm glad OC passed in Oklahoma, but I can't think of a situation where I would exercise that right - and I CC on a daily basis. I just can't think of a good reason to openly advertise what type of gun I have and exactly where I carry it.

Roger that Backstrap.

I'm a slightly overweight middle age guy with a limp. If I'm CCing, I'm going to have the drop on any BG that wants to visit a business I'm in. If I'm OCing, I'm not nearly as invisible.

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you are in a place where the bad guy is mentally making up a kill sequence, your day is fixing to go to hell whether you are first on his list or last.

Your best hope for survival would be the fact that the BG sees an armed citizen and decides to look for a safer (for him) place to do his crime.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Criminals go for weak targets, if they know you are packing they will probly find another target, how many times has a cop been shot first because he was somewhere a criminal wanted to work? I've never heard of it happening.

Our enemy is stupid but not that dumb

Latest posts

Top Bottom